Synopses & Reviews
Photoshop Elements 4 is the fast, easy, and inexpensive way to get studio-quality results from your digital images. You can
- Correct color, exposure, and lighting
- Fix red-eye and other flaws
- Use image layers to alter the look of a photo
- Change the background
- Make albums, display photos online, or print your pictures
- Do almost everything you can do with Photoshop CS
Chances are, you bought Elements because you want to make your photos look better. Maybe you take a lot of pictures and you look forward to sharing them. And if that’s the case, you’re probably more interested in actually getting something done than in understanding the theory behind the software. That’s why you need Photoshop Elements 4 Just the Steps For Dummies!
Photoshop Elements 4 Just the Steps For Dummies is a lot like Elements itself — fast and easy. Task-based spreads let you find the task you want to perform, then show you step by step how to do it. You pick the task, find it fast, and get it done! For example:
- Organize and find images quickly and easily
- Acquire photos from your mobile phone
- Create an artistic effect by layering images
- Locate files by caption, media type, or filename
- Replace one color with another
- Remove color halos from your subjects
- Clean dust and scratches from your photos
- Create a catalog, collection, album, or slideshow
- Make a photo look like an impressionist painting or a pencil sketch
- Print photos on your own printer or order prints online
That’s just a fraction of the tasks you can quickly find and perform with the help of this handy, no-nonsense guide. Photoshop Elements 4 Just the Steps For Dummies is all about simple steps that lead to great results!
Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.
What the book covers: importing photos from digital cameras and scanners, performing single click adjustments, retouching, repairing, and enhancing images, blending multiple images, creating Adobe PDF slideshows, optimizing images for the Web, creating a Web photo gallery, incorporating graphics into flyers, brochures, and presentations, and much more. Series features: "Just the Steps For Dummies books present readers with concise, step-by-step instructions for carrying out the activities essential to achieving competence in the technology. General layout: Chapter openers present the tasks covered with associated page numbers to help readers find material fast Two-column design has step lists in the left column and visual elements in the right column Minimal front matter No extraneous elements such as sidebars and text on parts pages Short introduction with standard headings
* Digital photography is now a mass-market phenomenon, with worldwide sales of digital cameras reaching $24 billion in 2004, and Photoshop Elements is the leading photo-editing software package
* This full-color book presents simple, step-by-step instructions for carrying out essential Photoshop Elements tasks, such as importing photos from digital cameras and scanners, performing single-click adjustments, and retouching, repairing, and enhancing images
* Also covers combining multiple images, creating Adobe PDF slideshows, optimizing images for the Web, creating a Web photo gallery, and incorporating graphics into flyers, brochures, and presentations
* Chapter openers present the topics covered along with page numbers to help readers find and accomplish specific tasks fast
* The new, two-column design on a landscape-shaped page features numbered step lists in the left column and visual elements on the right
Just the steps you need to enhance, repair, and share your photos
...for great results
Fill a Selection with the Paint Bucket Tool
- Select the Paint Bucket tool from the Tools palette.
- Specify your options on the Options bar. Tolerance specifies how similar in color a pixel must be before it is selected and filled. The lower the value, the more similar the color must be.
- Click the area you want to select and fill. If things go awry, choose Edit?Undo and try again. In the figure, we put our fill on a separate layer and set the Blend mode to Color so the tones of the apple show through the color.
The Paint Bucket tool makes a selection based on tolerance (similarly colored pixels) and fills that selection with a color and pattern. Reserve this tool for images with a limited number of colors.
Get ready to
- Organize and find images quickly
- Fix photos with just a few clicks of the mouse
- Print professional-looking photos
- Correct color, contrast, and clarity
- Create slideshows to share with family and friends
- Layer images for artistic effects
About the Author
is principal of Obermeier Design, a graphic design studio in Ventura, California. She’s the author of Photoshop CS2 All-in-One Desk Reference For Dummies
and has contributed as author, coauthor, or technical editor on numerous books. Barb is also a faculty member in the Visual Communication Department at Brooks Institute.
Ted Padova is the author of over 20 computer books. He writes primarily on Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, and Adobe Illustrator. He is a nationally and internationally known speaker on Adobe Acrobat and digital imaging.
Table of Contents
Part I: Acquiring and Organizing Images.
Chapter 1: Getting Familiar with Photoshop Elements.
Chapter 2: Acquiring Photos.
Chapter 3: Changing Image Attributes.
Chapter 4: Organizing Images.
Chapter 5: Saving and Undoing Edits.
Part II: Fixing Photos.
Chapter 6: Quick Fixing Images.
Chapter 7: Repairing Images.
Part III: Editing Techniques.
Chapter 8: Making Selections.
Chapter 9: Getting Creative with Layers.
Chapter 10: Working with Type.
Chapter 11: Drawing and Painting.
Chapter 12: Applying Filters.
Part IV: Outputting Photos.
Chapter 13: Preparing Images for Screen Viewing.
Chapter 14: Printing Images.
Part V: Working with Creations.
Chapter 15: Making Creations.
Chapter 16: Sharing Images.