Synopses & Reviews
A Positive, Proven Approach to Single Parenting!
As a single parent in our complex world, you face the challenge of doing alone a job that was meant for two people. In addition, self-doubt and guilt may dampen the joy you experience raising your child. What do you do?
Over the years, millions of parents just like you have come to trust Jane Nelsen's classic POSITIVE DISCIPLINE series for its consistant, commonsense approach to child rearing. In this completely revised and updated edition of Positive Discipline for Single Parents you'll learn how to succeed as a single parent in the most important job of your life: raising a child who is responsible, respectful, and resourceful.
Inside this reassuring book, you'll discover how to:
·Identify potential problems and develop skills to prevent them
·Budget time each week for family activities
·Create a respectful coparenting relationship with your former spouse
·Use nonpunitive methods to help your children make wise decisions about their behavior
·And much, much more!
"Provides very important information for single parents, especially in today's violent society. Used as a resource, it can help parents deal with discipline issues in a positive way and in turn help their children become responsible citizens."—Judye Foy, international vice president, Community Relations, Parents Without Partners
"Another great resource for both single parents and therapists . . . practical and enjoyable to read. A must for your parenting library."—Stephen Sprinkel, marriage and family therapist
About the Author
Jane Nelsen, Ed.D.,
coauthor of the bestselling Positive Discipline series, is a licensed marriage, family, and child therapist. Her books have sold over a million copies. She lives in Salt Lake City.
Cheryl Erwin, M.A., is a marriage and family therapist and the coauthor of numerous books in Prima's POSITIVE DISCIPLINE series on raising great children. She lives in Reno, Nevada.
Table of Contents
1. Setting the Stage for Single Parenting
2. Changing Your Perception of Single Parenting
3. Coping with Feelings: Yours and Theirs
4. The Fine Art of Communication: Reading the Clues of Energy
5. Balancing, Juggling, and Other Single-Parenting Skills
6. Conquering the High Wire: Skills for Creating Balance
7. Life with a Single Mom or Dad: Your Relationship with Your Child
8. Single Parent Families Aren't "Broken": Practicing Cooperation and Encouragement
9. Family Meetings: Making Your Family a Team
10. Understanding Misbehavior: It Isn't Just Because You Are a Single Parent!
11. Getting Into Your Child's World: Positive Discipline in Action
12. Nonpunitive Discipline: Effective Tools for Single Parents
13. Beyond Single Parenthood: Taking Care of You
14. Unmarried with Children: Social Life and Significant Others
15. Your Child's Other Parent: After the Divorce
16. Creating a Respectful Coparenting Relationship
17. Celebrating Your Family