Synopses & Reviews
Do-it-yourself troubleshooting and maintenance prescriptions from the Boat Doctor himself
The boat-maintenance bible for small powerboats, Powerboat Care and Repair covers all you need to know to keep your boat running and looking like a million bucks. You'll find step-by-step guidance on:
- troubleshooting electrical wire and gear
- electrolysis and how to protect your boat's underwater hardware
- the nuts and bolts of boat plumbing, from pumps and seacocks to your boat's head and holding tank system
- troubleshooting your engine, whether inboard, sterndrive, or outboard
- a complete winterizing program, including comprehensive checklists for safeguarding your engine and all other freeze-vulnerable equipment
- springtime commissioning guidelines, including tune-ups, lubrication, and preventive maintenance
- assembling a maintenance and repair tool kit (including spare parts)
If you'd like to save time and money, get to know your boat inside and out, and acquire the tools, techniques, and troubleshooting skills it takes to be a competent, comfortable boater, this book is for you.
As the "Boat Doctor" in "Boating "magazine, Allen Berrien helped two generations of readers keep their boats alive and well. Now his practical know-how and wisdom is collected in"Powerboat Care and Repair," the only book that focuses on do-it-yourself maintenance and repair of small powerboats.
Berrien provides tips on how to avoid and solve a host of common problems, such as electrolysis, pitted gelcoat, and battery failures. He also offers step-by-step guidance on spring commissioning and winterizing; inboard, outboard, and stern driveengine troubleshooting; exterior maintenance; emergency preparedness; and much more.
In this title, Allen Berrien of "Boating Magazine" offers his wisdom on: spring commissioning; winterizing; inboard, sterndrive and outboard engine troubleshooting; cleaning and exterior maintenance; gelcoat, fibreglass and epoxy repairs; pumps and plumbing; and emergency preparedness.
About the Author
Allen Berrien was Boating magazine's "Boat Doctor" columnist for many years. He has over three decades of boat repair and maintenance expertise and is a full-time boat repair expert in a family-owned boatyard on the Connecticut shore.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Cleaning and Exterior Maintenance
Chapter 2. Bottom Painting
Chapter 3. Troubleshooting Gasoline-Fueled Inboards and Sterndrives
Chapter 4. The Care and Feeding of Outboards
Chapter 5. Wiring and Electrolysis
Chapter 6. Plumbing and Pumps
Chapter 7. Winterizing
Chapter 8. Commissioning
Chapter 9. Tools, Spares, and Emergency Preparedness