Synopses & Reviews
Practical Digital Video with Programming Examples in C Written by an innovator in motion video, this practical, user-friendly guide synthesizes all the vital elements of PC motion video technology in an accessible, nonmathematical way. It helps software developers gain a comprehensive working knowledge of video and multimedia programming. Requiring an essential understanding of electronics and PCs, the book includes twenty software examples with source code to demonstrate state-of-the-art technology and the use of commercial products. This unique resource:
* Details the differences between graphical and natural images, and the reasons for compressing image data
* Describes and compares various kinds of computer displays, including their suitability to natural video
* Explains various methods of color representation and their particular uses in multimedia
* Highlights major data compression techniques and their application in multimedia
* Discusses the full range of available video storage techniques
* Presents several PC video hardware systems and illustrates their effective use
* Covers two mainstream PC video environments--Microsoft Video for Windows and Apple Quicktime
* Spotlights the various ways of processing video information
* Includes detailed references for major digital video standards and storage formats
Table of Contents
The Evolution of Information.
Computer Display Systems.
Data Compression Techniques.
Video Data Storage.
Motion Video Capture Hardware.
Motion Video Software Environment.
Video Image Processing Techniques.
JPEG Image Compression Standard.
MPEG Video Compression Standard.
H.261 Video Compression Standard.