Synopses & Reviews
Combining the best of reference and tutorial guides, this bestselling book on Unix offers concise, readable coverage of SunOS 4.1.3 and Berkeley Software Distribution 4.3 (BSD). A Practical Guide to the Unix System, Third Edition
is perfect for both novice and experienced users as it provides clear, straightforward coverage of a wide range of Unix commands and utilities. The book is divided into two parts. Part I provides a step-by-step tutorial for readers who want to use this operating system for programming, electronic mail, networking (including accessing the Internet), or other applications. Part II examines more than 75 Unix utility programs, with examples that are useful applications. In addition, appendixes cover the Posix Standards and the Ultrix version of Unix.
- Includes complete chapters on the Korn Shell, the emacs text editor, and the vi editor
- Contains a new chapter on Networking with coverage of many network structures and commands as well as detailed instruction on accessing the Internet using archie and gopher, how to transfer files using FTP, and a section on World Wide Web and Mosaic
- Provides a new chapter on Graphical User Interfaces that discusses GUI components, the X Window System, and using and customizing Motif
- Examines the make, SCCS, RCS, awk, and sed programming tools
- Features detailed chapters on the Bourne and C shells with explanations of how to write shell programs (shell scripts)
- Includes an in-depth chapter on the Korn shell that covers writing shell scripts and advanced concepts including recursion and the coprocess
- Offers a quick overview of the UNIX system in Chapter 1
- Provides coverage of text editing, electronic mail, shell programming, and other applications with examples, exercises, sample screens, and review questions incorporated throughout
- References 75 of the most frequently used UNIX utilities in Part II
- Includes clearly marked sections of optional advanced material for experienced UNIX users
About the Author
Mark G. Sobell is president of Sobell Associates Inc., a consulting firm that specializes in UNIX/Linux training, support, and custom software development. He is the author of many best-selling UNIX and Linux books and has more than twenty-five years of experience working with UNIX and Linux.
Table of Contents
The UNIX System.
The UNIX Operating System.
An Introduction to the Utilities.
The File Structures.
Graphical user Interfaces.
The VI Editor.
The EMACS Editor.
The C Shell.
The Korn Shell and Advanced Shell Programing.
The UNIX Utilitiy Programs.
Appendix. Regular Expressions.
Appendix. DEC Ultrix.
Appendix. The POSIX Standards. 0805375651T04062001