Synopses & Reviews
Primary Art is the newest book in award-winning author MaryAnn Kohl's art series, with more than 100 projects that offer amazing results to delight and teach children ages 5--8. A unique characteristic of Primary Art is that each art experience has three parts; it is introduced by a simple activity, progresses to a more experienced level, and finishes with a more intricate primary art experience. With this book, teachers, parents, after-school caregivers, and anyone working with children will encourage creativity, promote the process of art exploration, and appreciate the significance of the resulting art. Activities are sure to please, such as "Shimmer Paint," painting on aluminum foil with tempera and dish detergent, "Squeezy Batik," a batik resist using a flour-water mixture and watercolors, "Crinkle Scruncher," crinkled paper formed into sculptures, and "Jellie Dangles," ornaments made with gelatin!
Key features of this book:
- Activities are presented from quick-and-easy to multifaceted.
- Three-part projects offer exploration of the qualities and properties of art materials, an introductory art experience, and a third project that builds upon the introduction.
- Everyday materials are listed to capture the imagination of primary children.
- Each individual's artwork will reflect individual creativity, not a pre-made sample or mock-up.
- All projects have icons that designate time requirements, adult involvement, materials, and experience level for artists.
Over 100 unique art ideas for children 5 to 8 from best-selling, award-winning author MaryAnn Kohl.
The long-awaited sequel to First Art and Preschool Art is finally here! In Primary Art, award-winning author MaryAnn F. Kohl offers children ages five to eight over 100 art experiences that value the process of art more than the final product. Budding artists get their feet wet with preliminary art experiences and then progress to more complex creativity within each art medium. Encourage artistic expression at every level, from beginning to advanced, with hard-to-resist activities such as Shimmer Paint, Squeezy Batik, Sunbright Collage, Crinkle Scruncher and Jellie Dangles.
Over 100 unique art ideas for children five to eight from the bestselling, award-winning author MaryAnn Kohl.
About the Author
Award-winning author MaryAnn F. Kohl has written 14 books for Gryphon House, and is a regular featured columnist for Parenting Magazine. She has written the best-selling favorites Preschool Art, The Big Messy Art Book, Making Make-Believe, MathArts, and First Art. She is co-author of Global Art and Cooking Art with Jean Potter. MaryAnn lives in Bellingham, Washington.