Synopses & Reviews
Armed with this book, chemical engineers will have a collection of modern strategies for the design of chemical products and processes. It emphasizes a systematic approach and integrates product design more thoroughly throughout the chapters. New case studies on process design are included to make the concepts more relevant. The social aspects and economics of product design are introduced, and the Stage-Gate Product Development Process is explored in parallel tracks for several chemical products. The accompanying registration card grants access to a companion website that also provides chemical engineers with numerous examples of the simulator input and output, with frame-by-frame instructions to discuss the nature of the models provided for the processing units.
Rev. ed. of: Product and process design principles / Warren D. Seider, J.D. Seader, Daniel R. Lewin. c2004. 2nd ed.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Chemical Product Design.
1S Supplement to Chapter 1.
2. Product-Development Process.
PART 1 BASIC CHEMICALS PRODUCT DESIGN.
3. Materials Technology for Basic Chemicals: Molecular-Structure Design.
3S Supplement to Chapter 3.
4. Process Creation for Basic Chemicals.
5. Simulation to Assist in Process Creation.
6. Heuristics for Process Synthesis.
7. Reactor Design and Synthesis of Networks Containing Reactors.
7S Supplement to Chapter 7.
8. Synthesis of Separation Trains.
9. Heat and Power Integration.
9S Suppliment to Chapter 9 Second Law Analysis.
10. Mass Integration.
11. Optimal Design and Scheduling of Batch Processes.
12. Plantwide Controllability Assessment.
12S Supplement to Chapter 12 Flowsheet Controllability Analysis.
13. Basic Chemicals Product Design Case Studies.
PART 2 INDUSTRIAL CHEMICALS PRODUCT DESIGN.
14. Materials and Process/Manufacturing Technologies for Industrial Chemical Products.
15. Industrial Chemicals Product Design Case Studies.
PART 3 CONFIGURED CONSUMER PRODUCT DESIGN.
16. Materials, Process/Manufacturing, and Product Technologies for Congured Consumer Products.
16S Supplement to Chapter 16.
17. Congured Consumer Product Design Case Studies.
PART 4 DETAILED DESIGN, EQUIPMENT SIZING, OPTIMIZATION, AND PRODUCT-QUALITY ANALYSIS.
18. Heat Exchanger Design.
19. Separation Tower Design.
20. Pumps, Compressors, and Expanders.
21. Polymer Compounding.
22. Cost Accounting and Capital Cost Estimation.
22S Supplement to Chapter 22.
23. Annual Costs, Earnings, and Protability Analysis.
23S Supplement to Chapter 23.
24. Design Optimization.
25. Six-Sigma Design Strategies.
PART 5 DESIGN REPORT.
26. Written Reports and Oral Presentations.