Synopses & Reviews
This is the best-selling undergraduate food preparation textbook in the marketplace. It has a long standing reputation for being comprehensive, yet easy for students to understand and follow. Wayne Gisslen's reputation for being able to simply, yet comprehensively, communicate information to beginning chefs is unsurpassed.
Professional Cooking, Seventh Edition includes videos that will help further illustrate the correct techniques in the kitchen. On top of that there are over 100 new recipes, some with particular emphasis on international cooking.
- Enhanced visual program includes over 220 new color photos, including plated dishes, procedures, and products.
- Approximately 100 new recipes have been added, for a total of 650 recipes plus another 600 variations.
- More focus on international recipes and variations.
- Enhanced topical coverage on such things as: food science, molecular gastronomy, international recipes, and culinary maths.
- Chapter 10, Understanding Meats, now includes all information on meat fabrication in one convenient place.
- Up-to-date nutrition guidelines.
- Thoroughly revised and enhanced CulinarE-Companion Recipe Management software contains all recipes from the book – and 90 bonus recipes. The software is available through download with the registration code in the back of the book.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: The Food Service Industry.
Chapter 2: Sanitation and Safety.
Chapter 3: Tools and Equipment.
Chapter 4: Basic Principles of Cooking and Food Science.
Chapter 5: Menus, Recipes, and Cost Management.
Chapter 6: Nutrition.
Chapter 7: Mise en Place.
Chapter 8: Stocks and Sauces.
Chapter 9: Soups.
Chapter 10: Understanding Meats and Game.
Chapter 11: Cooking Meats and Game.
Chapter 12: Understanding Poultry and Game Birds.
Chapter 13: Cooking Poultry and Game Birds.
Chapter 14: Understanding Fish and Shellfish.
Chapter 15: Cooking Fish and Shellfish.
Chapter 16: Understanding Vegetables.
Chapter 17: Cooking Vegetables.
Chapter 18: Potatoes.
Chapter 19: Legumes, Grains, Pasta, and Other Starches.
Chapter 20: Cooking for Vegetarian Diets.
Chapter 21: Salad Dressings and Salads.
Chapter 22: Sandwiches.
Chapter 23: Hors d'Oeuvres.
Chapter 24: Breakfast Preparation.
Chapter 25: Dairy and Beverages.
Chapter 26: Sausages and Cured Foods.
Chapter 27: Pâtés, Terrines, and Other Cold Foods.
Chapter 28: Food Presentation and Garnish.
Chapter 29: Bakeshop Production: Basic Principles and Ingredients.
Chapter 30: Yeast Products.
Chapter 31: Quick Breads.
Chapter 32: Cakes and Icings.
Chapter 33: Cookies.
Chapter 34: Pies and Pastries.
Chapter 35: Creams, Custards, Puddings, Frozen Desserts, and Sauces.
Appendix 1: Metric Conversion Factors.
Appendix 2: Standard Can Sizes.
Appendix 3: Approximate Weight-Volume Equivalents of Dry Foods.
Appendix 4: Kitchen Math Exercises: Metric Versions.
Appendix 5: Eggs and Safety.
Glossary and Cooking Vocabular.