Synopses & Reviews
Create amazing apps for all major smartphone platforms
It can be tricky developing for all mobile platforms and there are a lot of traps along the way. This guide helps you navigate around the roadblocks, providing you with the steps to set up your development environment and the tools and patterns to build your mobile app. It also arms you with strategies to best leverage your code base to support the wide variety of platforms. From simple HTML-based web apps to complex examples using Appcelerator or PhoneGap, you'll find everything you need to dive in and create the coolest apps available.
Professional Mobile Application Development:
- Shows you how to create consumable web services for mobile devices
- Walks you through the design and development of mobile user interfaces
- Uncovers what you need to get started coding mobile websites
- Gives you the tools to start developing apps on Android™ iOS, Windows® Phone 7, and BlackBerry® devices
- Describes how to use the leading software to build more robust apps in a shorter time
- Explains how to set standards and offers guidelines for development teams
Join our Programmer to Programmer forums to ask and answer programming questions about this book, join discussions on the hottest topics in the industry, and connect with fellow programmers from around the world.
Take advantage of free code samples from this book, as well as code samples from hundreds of other books, all ready to use.
Find articles, ebooks, sample chapters, and tables of contents for hundreds of books, and more reference resources on programming topics that matter to you.
Create applications for all major smartphone platforms
Creating applications for the myriad versions and varieties of mobile phone platforms on the market can be daunting to even the most seasoned developer. This authoritative guide is written in such as way that it takes your existing skills and experience and uses that background as a solid foundation for developing applications that cross over between platforms, thereby freeing you from having to learn a new platform from scratch each time. Concise explanations walk you through the tools and patterns for developing for all the mobile platforms while detailed steps walk you through setting up your development environment for each platform.
- Covers all the major options from native development to web application development
- Discusses major third party platform development acceleration tools, such as Appcelerator and PhoneGap
- Zeroes in on topics such as developing applications for Android, IOS, Windows Phone 7, and Blackberry
Professional Mobile Cross Platform Development shows you how to best exploit the growth in mobile platforms, with a minimum of hassle.
About the Author
is the Director of Development at Gravity Works Design and Development. He is a founding member and current Vice President for the Greater Lansing Users for .NET.
Scott Gowell is a senior developer at Gravity Works Design and Development. He develops mobile applications for clients and speaks at local user groups.
Table of Contents
CHAPTER 1: PRELIMINARY CONSIDERATIONS 1
CHAPTER 2: DIVING INTO MOBILE: APP OR WEBSITE? 11
CHAPTER 3: CREATING CONSUMABLE WEB SERVICES FOR MOBILE DEVICES 37
CHAPTER 4: MOBILE USER INTERFACE DESIGN 89
CHAPTER 5: MOBILE WEBSITES 117
CHAPTER 6: GETTING STARTED WITH ANDROID 151
CHAPTER 7: GETTING STARTED WITH IOS 183
CHAPTER 8: GETTING STARTED WITH WINDOWS PHONE 7 229
CHAPTER 9: GETTING STARTED WITH BLACKBERRY 253
CHAPTER 10: GETTING STARTED WITH APPCELERATOR TITANIUM 283
CHAPTER 11: GETTING STARTED WITH PHONEGAP 309
CHAPTER 12: GETTING STARTED WITH MONOTOUCH AND MONO FOR ANDROID 343