Synopses & Reviews
This book surveys emerging music and education landscapes to present a sampling of the promising practices of music teacher education that may serve as new models for the 21st century. Contributors explore the delicate balance between curriculum and pedagogy, the power structures that influence music education at all levels, the role of contemporary musical practices in teacher education, and the communication challenges that surround institutional change. Models of programs that feature in-school, out-of-school and beyond school contexts, lifespan learning perspectives, active juxtapositions of formal and informal approaches to teaching and learning, student-driven project-based fieldwork, and the purposeful employment of technology and digital media as platforms for authentic music engagement within a contemporary participatory culture are all offered as springboards for innovative practice.
About the Author
is Professor of Music and Coordinator of Music Teacher Education and Graduate Studies at the University of Southern Maine.
Janice Smith is Associate Professor of Music Education and Coordinator of Undergraduate Music Education at Queens College, City University of New York.
Together they are the authors of Minds on Music: Composition for Creative and Critical Thinking (2009) and editors of Composing Our Future: Preparing Music Educators to Teach Composition (2013)
Table of Contents
Section I: Current Challenges and New Opportunities
1. Music Teacher Education in Transition, Michele Kaschub and Janice Smith
2. Considering Both Curriculum and Pedagogy, David A. Williams
3. Starbucks Doesn't Sell Hot Cross Buns: Embracing New Priorities for Pre-service Music Teacher Preparation Programs, Frank Abrahams
4. Entrepreneurial Music Education, Janice Smith
5. Educating Teachers for 21st Century Challenges: The Music Educator as a Cultural Citizen, Cathy Benedict and Patrick Schmidt
Section II: Innovative Practices in Music Teacher Education
6. Juxtapositional Pedagogy as an Organizing Principle in University Music Education Programs, Frank Heuser
7. Where It All Comes Together: Student-Driven Project-Based Learning in Music Teacher Education, Michele Kaschub
8. Inquiry and Synthesis in Pre-service Music Teacher Education: A Close Look at Cultivating Self-Study Research, Mark Robin Campbell
9. Invoking An Innovative Spirit In Music Teacher Education, Carlos Abril
10. What If. . .: A Curriculum in Support of Technology, Curiosity and Play in Music Teacher Education, Gena Greher
11. 21st Century Musicianship through Digital Media and Participatory Culture, Evan Tobias