Synopses & Reviews
The new Sixth Edition has been thoroughly revised and updated to include:
- New ethics guidance on such topics as determining authorship and terms of collaboration, duplicate publication, plagiarism and self-plagiarism, disguising of participants, validity of instrumentation, and making data available to others for verification;
- New journal article reporting standards to help readers report empirical research with clarity and precision;
- Simplified APA heading style to make it more conducive to electronic publication;
- Updated guidelines for reducing bias in language, including a new section on presenting historical language that is inappropriate by present standards;
- New guidelines for reporting inferential statistics and a significantly revised table of statistical abbreviations;
- New instruction on using supplemental files containing lengthy data sets and other media;
- Significantly expanded content on the electronic presentation of data;
- Consolidated information on all aspects of reference citations, with an expanded discussion of electronic sources emphasizing the role of the digital object identifier (DOI) as a reliable way to locate information;
- Expanded discussion of the publication process, including the function and process of peer review; a discussion of ethical, legal, and policy requirements in publication; and guidelines on working with the publisher while the article is in press.
Key to this edition of the Publication Manual is an updated and expanded Web presence (www.apastyle.org) that provides additional supplemental material keyed to the books, online tutorials and courses, an APA Style blog by which to read and share comments on writing and referencing, frequently asked questions about APA Style, and additional resources on such topics as ethics, statistics, and writing.