Synopses & Reviews
Chinese basics made easy--and fun!
Studying Chinese can be intimidating. Not only do you face the usual challenges of learning a new language--vocabulary, grammar, verb tenses--but you also have to contend with a non-Roman script. These formidable obstacles frustrate many learners. But now there is a program that helps you overcome these hurdles so you can be successful in your Chinese language studies.
The extraordinarily accessible ReadandSpeak Chinese for Beginners entertains you while you learn, lessening the anxiety of a new script and increasing your desire to master Chinese. This program teaches you basic vocabulary and explains sentence structures for eight key areas of everyday life--introducing yourself, saying where you're from, asking what things are, asking where things are located, describing objects and people, asking how to get around, talking about your family, and describing what you do. The accompanying CD features all the key words and phrases so you can hear how they are pronounced and repeat them after the speaker.
Inside you will find:
- Clear explanations of how to use basic phrases in everyday conversations
- Entertaining activities, games, and puzzles with which to check your progress
- Illustrated flash cards to help you memorize key phrases
- Listening exercises and audio games on the CD to further reinforce your comprehension
Whether you use this program on your own or as a supplement to your formal studies, ReadandSpeak Chinese for Beginners gives you the tools to overcome the difficulties presented by a non-Roman script and master the Chinese language.
READ AND SPEAK LANGUAGES FOR BEGINNERS
Basics made easy--and fun!
Extraordinarily accessible and highly effective, Read and Speak Languages for Beginners guides make it easier than ever for English-speaking language learners to master the basics of three particularly difficult languages--Arabic, Chinese, and Japanese. Using a variety of ingenious educational tools that instruct as they entertain, these unique beginners' guides help learners conquer the difficulties presented by script as they master basic conversational sentence structures.
Ideal for tourists and business travelers, the books are organized around the seven key areas of everyday life--names and nationality; naming objects; positions and places; describing possessions; appearances; family; and jobs and workplaces--and feature:
- Clear explanations of how basic phrases are used for practical communication
- Entertaining activities, games, and puzzles
- Illustrated flash cards that help in the memorization of key phrases
- A 60-minute CD, featuring speaking and listening exercises and audio games
Learn helpful Chinese vocabulary without being intimidated by its non-Roman script!
Your desire to learn Mandarin Chinese may be twarted by its script; how will you pick up the language if you can't understand its characters? Read and Speak Chinese for Beginners overcomes this obstacle by providing an accessible, entertaining program that will reinforce vocabulary as well as help you create basic structures.
Each of the eight topics develop your communication skills in key areas, and your progress will be reinforced by tests and puzzles. The accompanying 55-minute audio CD contains all the key words and phrases for you to listen to and repeat. It also features entertaining listening activities and games for additional reinforcement.
- Two-color layout and photographs throughout to illustrate key vocabulary.
- Proven approach combines games, puzzles, flashcards, and audio to aid language.
- Clear explanations of how basic phrases are used for practical communication.
- Audio CD/MP3s for correct pronunciation provides speaking and listening practice and audio games; detachable flashcards allow language reinforcement.
What is your name?; Where are you from?; What is this?; Where is it?; What's it like?;How do I get there?;Who's this?; What do you do?
About the Author
Jane Wightwick is an experienced language instructor, author, and respected developer of language learning materials.