Synopses & Reviews
Compiled and edited by a board of distinguished educators, this single-volume encyclopedia contains vital information on the world's greatest literary masterpieces-and is an essential reference source for home, library, and school.
Includes A-Z listings on:
* Authors-supplies dates of lives and works, and critical evaluations of everyone from Herodotus to Hemingway
* Titles-mentions pertinent movements and influences from Beowulf to The Cherry Orchard
* Literary Movements-defines the aims, techniques, styles and settings of Classicism, Impressionism, and many others
* Historical Movements-explains background, ideals, and settings for authors and works from Classic Antiquity to the Renaissance
* Technical Terms and Phrases-definitions of commonly-used terms, from "assonance" to "trope"