Synopses & Reviews
This set of ready- to-use reading proficiency lessons and activities gives classroom teachers and reading specialists a dynamic and progressive way to meet curriculum standards and competencies at the tenth-grade level. Reading Proficiency Lessons and Activities
books at the fourth-grade level and the eighth-grade level are also available from Jossey-Bass.
You'll find the lessons and activities at each level help students actively improve their reading and language skills and facilitate their mastery of other school subjects. They were developed and tested by an experienced teacher who sought to give his students positive learning experiences while preparing them for district and statewide proficiency exams.
For easy use, the lessons and activities are printed in a big 8 1/2" by 11" format that folds flat for photocopying of the book's 40 study sheets, 100 worksheets, and 11 practice tests which are organized into five sections:
3. Reading Comprehension
4. Language Mechanics & Word Usage
5. Language Expression
Each section contains reproducible activity sheets for teaching basic concepts and skills in one main area of reading or language arts at this level. In addition each section includes:
- Teaching suggestions that identify skills to highlight, note which study sheets complement the activity sheet, and offer tips on implementation.
- Study sheets with concise information on specific topics such as "Strategies for Solving Analogies" and "Ways to Build Your Vocabulary."
- Worksheets that address numerous tenth-grade reading and language arts skills, focusing on the skills that appear on standardized tests.
- Practice tests which conclude each section and are based on the activity sheets and skills addressed in that section. Tests are laid out in a standardized format to simulate actual tests.
- Answer sheets for all the practice tests in the section. These are helpful tools that give your students practice in completing answer sheets for standardized tests.
- Answer keys for each worksheet and practice test which help you correct your students' work and explain any questions they found confusing. Students can also correct their own work with these keys.
What's more, the Appendix contains useful information for teachers, parents, and students. For example, you'll find tips on creating a positive test-taking environment and handouts designed to inform parents about standardized tests.
All three volumes—4th Grade, 8th Grade, and 10th Grade— give you stimulating and effective ways to help students master basic reading and language content and prepare to demonstrate their knowledge at a particular grade level.
This?volume of Ready-to-Use Reading Proficiency Lessons & Activities gives classroom teachers and reading specialists a dynamic and progressive way to meet curriculum standards and competencies at the tenth-grade level.? It provides stimulating and effective ways to help students master basic reading and language content, and prepare to demonstrate their knowledge at the appropriate level.
All three volumes— "4th Grade, 8th Grade, and 10th Grade"— give you stimulating and effective ways to help students master basic reading and language content and prepare to demonstrate their knowledge at a particular grade level.
About the Author
Gary Robert Muschla (B.A. and M.A.T., Trenton State College) taught reading and writing for more than 25 years at Appleby School in Spotswood, New Jersey. He is the author of several practical resources for teachers, including The Writing Teacher's Book of Lists (1991), Writing Workshop Survival Kit (1993), English Teacher's Great Books Activities Kit (1994), Reading Workshop Survival Kit (1997), Ready-to-Use Reading Proficiency Lessons and Activities, 4th Grade Level (2002), and Ready-to-Use Reading Proficiency Lessons and Activities, 8th Grade Level (2002), all published by Jossey-Bass.