Synopses & Reviews
Two of America's leading psychologists, Jeffrey E. Young, Ph.D., and Janet S. Klosko, Ph.D., show readers how to free themselves from negative life patterns. Written with compassion as well as clinical insight, this thought-provoking book guides readers through the process of identifying "life traps." For example, "Do you put the needs of others before your own? Are you drawn into relationships with people who are self-centered, cold to you, misunderstand you, or use you? Do you feel inadequate compared to people around you?" Followed by an engaging discussion that makes use of case studies, this book can help people change their lives by stopping the cycle of self-destruction.
Two renowned psychologists offer an innovative approach to solving long-term emotional problems based on the proven principles of cognitive therapy. As seen on Oprah, this guide shows how to effectively change negative thought patterns.
Table of Contents
Reinventing Your Life Foreword by Aaron Beck, M.D.
2. Which Lifetraps Do You Have?
3. Understanding Lifetraps
4. Surrender, Escape, and Counterattack
5. How Lifetraps Change
6. "Please Don't Leave Me!": The Abandonment Lifetrap
7. "I Can't Trust You": The Mistrust and Abuse Lifetrap
8. "I'll Never Get the Love I Need": The Emotional Deprivation Lifetrap
9. "I Don't Fit In": The Social Exclusion Lifetrap
10. "I Can't Make It on My Own": The Dependence Lifetrap
11. "Catastrophe Is About to Strike": The Vulnerability Lifetrap
12. "I'm Worthless": The Defectiveness Lifetrap
13. "I Feel Like Such a Failure": The Failure Lifetrap
14. "I Always Do It Your Way!": The Subjugation Lifetrap
15. "It's Never Quite Good Enough": The Unrelenting Standards Lifetrap
16. "I Can Have Whatever I Want": The Entitlement Lifetrap
17. A Philosophy of Change