Synopses & Reviews
RUN FASTER, RUN SMARTER WITH THE LATEST ADVICE FROM THE PROS AT RUNNERS WORLD
The sport of running is ever changing, be it the shoes we wear or the goals we set, the training methods we use or the role models we emulate. But there is one constant: For 40 years, Runners World magazine has been recognized worldwide as the leading authority on running. Now the collective wisdom of the most savvy running writers, coaches, and editors can be found in Runners World Complete Book of Running. Whether you are a beginner or veteran runner, here is advice—both timeless and cutting-edge—guaranteed to maximize your performance and enjoyment. Inside youll find in-depth coverage of training and racing including:
· A surefire plan to get beginners hooked on running
· 15 surprising foods to boost your running performance
· A proven plan to increase speed by training less
· Tips from triathletes to maximize your training efficiency
· A womans encyclopedia of running
· The big five running injuries and how to prevent them
· An innovative running plan for weight-loss
· Cross-training exercises that strengthen your core
· How to train for your first half-marathon
· Mental training tips for running a smart marathon Packed with valuable advice from runnings top experts on everything from building strength, speed, and endurance to nutrition and injury-prevention, Runners World Complete Book of Running - edited by Amby Burfoot - is the book youll turn to again and again to answer all of your running questions.
Now revised, with full-color illustrations throughout-the classic, comprehensive guide to running, from the magazine that is recognized as the world's leading authority
The sport of running is ever-changing, be it the shoes we wear or the goals we set, the training methods we use or the role models we emulate. But there is one constant: for more than 30 years, Runner's World magazine has been recognized worldwide as the most reliable and authoritative source of running knowledge. And for the past 7 years, Runner's World Complete Book of Running has been the classic book of choice for runners looking to run better, longer, and faster.
Inside, all the secrets of running are laid bare. Need to know the best ways to start a running program? You'll find it. Looking for tips on buying and preserving your running shoes? It's in there. From a complete look at running injuries to the benefits of sports drinks vs. water to the best way to increase your endurance and train for a marathon, look no further than Runner's World Complete Book of Running, Contents include:
- A sure-fire plan for beginners to get hooked on running
- 15 surprising foods to boost your running performance
- Tips for triathletes to maximize your training efficiency
- 11 rules to run a great marathon
- A woman's encyclopedia of running
- How to incorporate speedwork into your training
- How to think like a champion
- How to taper your eating, and your training, before a race
Whether you are a beginner or veteran runner, here is the advice--both timeless and cutting-edge--guaranteed to maximize your performance and your running pleasure.
About the Author
AMBY BURFOOT is Executive Editor of Runners World and author of several books on running. Winner of the 1968 Boston Marathon and a member of the Road Runners Club of America Hall of Fame, he is also the recipient of several journalism awards.