Synopses & Reviews
Brown's in-depth examination of how policy reform translates into change classroom practices not only shows us what is working and what isn't, it also explains why. The classroom scenes are alive with the struggle to develop thinking skills in a system that gives us only what we ask for.
"Brown imaginatively and uniquely connects rich portraits of classrooms with a vision of how public policy can encourage thoughtfulness in our schools."
—Theodore R. Sizer, chair, Coalition of Essential Schools
Includes bibliographical references (p. 269-283) and index.
Table of Contents
1. Back to Basics in the Rural South.
2. Hand-Me-Down Literacy.
3. Language and Culture on the Reservation.
4. An Urban District: One Foot on the Gas, the Other on the Brakes.
5. The Politics of Literacy.
6. When Teachers Talk.
7. A Higher Literacy in Toronto.
8. Cultivating a Literacy of Thoughtfulness.
Guidelines for Program Review from the Ontario Ministry of Education.