Synopses & Reviews
The Ultimate Do-It-Yourself Guide to SEO!
A Step-by-Step Guide
More timely than ever, this comprehensive, can-do book offers expert advice, practical instructions, and smart tools to help you increase visibility for your website on Google and other major search engines. In this new edition of their bestselling guide, veteran search marketing consultants Jennifer Grappone and Gradiva Couzin give you the very latest SEO and social media strategies and tricks of the trade in a workable, day-by-day plan. Perfect for busy self-starters in organizations large and small, this book will quickly help you increase your visibility and presence on the web.
Develop and implement an SEO strategy using the winning An Hour a Day approach
Discover how search engines work now, and make them work for you
Optimize your site so you can be found, then make the sale
Use Facebook, Twitter, and other sites on the Social and Mobile Web to put your site in the spotlight
Find out what "link juice" is, and start making your own
Get visibility in local, social, shopping, and other featured search results
You'll also find:
Essential hints, tips, and techniques for everyone from one-person shops to Fortune 500 companies
Engaging right-brain vs. left-brain sidebars, where the authors discuss key issues from their unique perspectives
Real-world "From the Trenches" case studies that illustrate successes to learn from and mistakes to avoid
Praise for Search Engine Optimization: An Hour a Day, Third Edition
"From strategy to implementation and optimization, this valuable resource gives you easily digestible, bite-sized nuggets containing proven, field-tested principles—it's SEO done right."
—Amman Badlani, Manager, Online Marketing and Analytics, Planned Parenthood Federation of America
"Tightly written and to the point, it gives you the knowledge you need to make a big difference in how your site appears in search engines."
—Rafael Baptista, SEO Specialist, Tripadvisor.com
"SEO: An Hour a Day is an immediately actionable guerilla field guide. Gradiva and Jennifer have a terrific grip on what real SEO practitioners should undertake short, mid, and long term."
—Marty Weintraub, President, aimClear
"If you read even half of the book you'll be an SEO star. Imagine what will happen if you read the whole thing!"
—Avinash Kaushik, Author of Web Analytics 2.0 and Google Analytics Evangelist
This is the ultimate guide to do-it-yourself search engine optimization. It clearly explains important SEO concepts, trends, and best practices before laying out a day-by-day plan for developing, managing, and measuring a successful SEO plan. The hour-a-day approach makes what can be an overwhelming task feel approachable - perfect for overworked marketers, PR pros, small-business owners, and professionals throughout an organization tasked with driving targeted traffic to a web site.
The book features:
- Strategies for setting SEO goals and getting buy-in throughout a company
- A thorough, day-by-day plan for developing and implementing an SEO strategy that can include both free and paid efforts
- Downloadable tracking spreadsheets, keyword list templates, tag/directory listing reference sheets, templates for checking rank and site indexes, and a calendar with daily SEO tasks that you can import into your own calendar system, plus many other useful documents for implementing an SEO plan and measuring its effectiveness
- Fascinating real-world From the Trenches case studies, with names changed to protect the (not so) innocent
- Engaging Right Brain vs. Left Brain sidebars where the authors discuss key issues from their unique perspective
- Hints, tips, and techniques for everyone from one-person shops to Fortune 500 companies
- Habits for effectively monitoring trends, your competition, and your SEO results
- A companion web site with related downloads, forums, and additional resources.
Based on recent developments, current trends, and extensive reader feedback, enhancements to the third edition include:
- Expanded coverage about integrating Facebook, Twitter, and other social media efforts with SEO
- Details about the latest crucial developments in how search engines work, including real-time search results
- Strategies for capitalizing on the Bing-Yahoo alliance
- Tips for using the latest keyword research tools
- Information on Ajax optimization
- New information on successfully building link juice
- New case studies featuring small businesses and tactics for getting quality user-generated, SEO-friendly content
- Greatly expanded ecommerce optimization coverage
The third edition of the bestselling guide to do-it-yourself SEO
Getting seen on the first page of search engine result pages is crucial for businesses and online marketers. Search engine optimization helps improve Web site rankings, and it is often complex and confusing. This task-based, hands-on guide covers the concepts and trends and then lays out a day-by-day strategy for developing, managing, and measuring a successful SEO plan. With tools you can download and case histories to illustrate key points, it’s the perfect solution for busy marketers, business owners, and others whose jobs include improving Web site traffic.
- A successful SEO plan is vital to any business with an online presence
- This book provides strategies for setting goals and gaining corporate support, developing and implementing a plan, and monitoring trends and results
- Offers hints, tips, and techniques for everyone from one-person shops to Fortune 500 companies
- Companion Web site includes downloadable tracking spreadsheets, keyword list templates, templates for checking rank and site indexes, and a calendar with daily SEO tasks that you can import into your own calendar system
Fully updated and expanded, Search Engine Optimization: An Hour a Day, Third Edition will help you raise your visibility on the Web.
About the Author
Search marketing consultants Jennifer Grappone and Gradiva Couzin have improved the Internet presence of Fortune 500 companies and other firms in the media, entertainment, software, retail, and nonprofit industries. Jennifer, a former web project manager and corporate video producer, began focusing exclusively on SEO in 2000. Gradiva, a programmer and civil engineer, has been working in SEO since 1999. Together, they deliver a well-rounded, left-brain/right-brain approach to successful search engine optimization and social marketing.
Table of Contents
Part I Foundation.
Chapter 1 Clarify Your Goals.
What Is SEO?
Do I Need to Perform SEO for My Website?
What Are the Overall Goals of My Business?
What Function Does My Website Serve?
How Is My Website Connecting with the Goals of My Business?
Who Do I Want to Visit My Website?
What Do I Want Visitors to Do on My Website?
Which Pages Do I Most Want My Website Visitors to See?
How Will I Measure the Success of This SEO Campaign?
Chapter 2 Customize Your Approach.
It’s Your SEO Plan.
Really Small Organization.
Chapter 3 Eternal Truths of SEO.
Search Results Are Blended.
Humans Are Smart—Computers Aren't.
It's Not Just about Rank.
Search Engines Don’t Like Tricks.
SEO Is Not Brain Surgery.
Chapter 4 How the Search Engines Work Right Now.
In Pursuit of Right Now.
Organic Web Search Ranking Factors.
Blended Search Ranking Factors.
Social and Mobile Web.
SEO Trend Spotting.
Part II Strategy.
Chapter 5 Get Your Team on Board.
The Challenge of SEO Team Building.
Marketing, Sales, and Public Relations.
IT, Webmasters, and Programmers.
Writers and Editors.
Executives and Product Managers.
Chapter 6 Your One-Month Prep: Keywords, Priorities, and Goals.
Your SEO Idea Bank.
Week 1: Keywords.
Week 2: Baseline Assessment.
Week 3: Competition.
Week 4: Analytics and Goals.
Part III Your SEO Plan.
Chapter 7 Month One: Kick It into Gear.
Week 1: Basic Site Optimization.
Week 2: Site Structure Improvements.
Week 3: Link Building.
Week 4: Building Content for Links and Engagement.
Chapter 8 Month Two: Establish the Habit.
Week 5: Social Media Marketing.
Week 6: Set Up Your Paid Search Account.
Week 7: Selling Through Search.
Week 8: Local Search.
Chapter 9 Month Three: It’s a Way of Life.
Week 9: Special Opportunities: Video, Mobile, and More.
Week 10: Research and Development.
Week 11: What’s Your Problem?
Week 12: SEO Status Report.
Moving On: Forging Your Own SEO Path.
Chapter 10 Extra Credit and Guilt-Free Slacking.
The Slacking Spectrum.
The Extra Credit Continuum.
Extra Credit Tasks.