Synopses & Reviews
Drive your site to the top of search engine results withthese tips, tricks, and secrets
A great Web site isn't great unless it is viewed, and 90 percent of Web surfers never look past Page 1 of the search results. SEO expert Peter Kent clearly shows what you need to do to stay ahead of the competition. You'll discover how to set up your Web pages for the best chance of first-page rankings and reap the rewards of a fully optimized site!
- Rankings are money — good search rankings bring in customers and eyeballs that provide you sales and ad revenue
- Brick by brick — build a strong foundation of basic SEO skills as you select the best keywords and create a sensible site
- Say it with a smile — ensure your site is search-engine friendly by following key techniques and avoiding ones that get you blacklisted
- Make a splash — find out which search engines and directories you should target, how to register your site, and what you need to do to get indexed
- Traffic is good — discover additional steps you can take to drive visitors to your site, including posting videos, using social media, and gaining backlinks
Open the book and find:
- Steps for setting up pages that search engines will index
- Secrets for giving your site greater visibility in search engines
- Ways to ensure you appear in local search results
- Tips for selecting the right keywords in your Web pages
- Details on building an effective linking strategy
- How to make the most of social networking and video
- Techniques to track how your site is doing
- Develop a search strategy and use local search capabilities
- Build sites that increase your search visibility
- Analyze results with updated tracking tools
- Maximize content marketing and reputation management strategies
- Search Engine Optimization For Dummies, 5th Edition shows website owners, developers, and search engine optimizers (SEOs) how to create a website that ranks at the top of search engines and has high-volume traffic, while answering the essential question of "how do I get people to visit my site?"
- Includes information on search engine basics (what are they, which ones are important, how to get started), how to build search engine friendly sites, register your site with directories and indexes, use analysis tools to track results, use link popularity to boost rankings, and advertise your site by using pay-per-click options.
- New coverage includes content marketing and reuse, new tracking tools, platform management, and reputation management.
Increase your online ranking with this beginner guide to SEO!
Search engine optimization (SEO) is an integral part of getting a site to rank high in the various search engines in order to attract potential customers. With this new edition of a bestseller, you?ll learn the ins and outs and best practices of successful SEO in order to make your website content more search-engine friendly so that it ranks higher among search engines and draws high-volume traffic.
- Covers search engine basics to help you get started
- Introduces new coverage on content marketing and reuse, new tracking tools, platform management, and reputation management
- Details ways to build search-engine friendly sites, register your site with directories and indexes, and use analysis tools to track results
- Explains how to use link popularity in order to boost rankings
- Zeroes in on advertising your site by using pay-per-click options
Search Engine Optimization For Dummies, 5th Edition is the fun and friendly place to start learning how to move your site to the top of the rankings.
About the Author
Peter Kent is an e-commerce consultant specializing in search engine optimization. Peter has provided consulting services to companies such as TowerRecords.com, Zillow, and hundreds of small and medium-sized businesses.
Table of Contents
Part I: Search Engine Basics 7
Chapter 1: Surveying the Search Engine Landscape 9
Chapter 2: Search Results, Deconstructed 23
Chapter 3: Your One-Hour, Search Engine–Friendly Web Site Makeover 33
Chapter 4: Beating the Competition — Planning a Powerful Search Engine Strategy 49
Chapter 5: Making Your Site Useful and Visible 67
Part II: Building Search Engine–Friendly Sites 83
Chapter 6: Picking Powerful Keywords 85
Chapter 7: Creating Pages That Search Engines Love 107
Chapter 8: Avoiding Things That Search Engines Hate 135
Chapter 9: Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap 163
Chapter 10: Bulking Up Your Site — Competing with Content 179
Chapter 11: Finding Traffic Through Local-Search Marketing 203
Part III: Adding Your Site to the Indexes and Directories 227
Chapter 12: Getting Your Pages into the Search Engines 229
Chapter 13: Submitting to the Directories 243
Chapter 14: Product Search: Remember the Shopping Directories and Retailers 259
Part IV: After You’ve Submitted Your Site 283
Chapter 15: Using Link Popularity to Boost Your Position 285
Chapter 16: Finding Sites to Link to Yours 309
Chapter 17: Even More Great Places to Get Links 333
Chapter 18: Social Networking — Driven by Drivel 343
Chapter 19: Video: Putting Your Best Face Forward 353
Chapter 20: When Google Bites Back: A Guide to Catastrophe 359
Part V: The Part of Tens 377
Chapter 21: Ten Things to Know and Do When Picking an SEO Firm 379
Chapter 22: Ten-Plus Myths and Mistakes 385
Chapter 23: Ten-Plus Ways to Stay Updated 393
Chapter 24: Ten-Plus Useful Things to Know 399