Synopses & Reviews
Stephen Cary helps K-6 teachers and administrators bring second language learners at all levels of English language proficiency into the core curriculum. He evaluates common program and instructional models, outlines the basic ideas of how language is best acquired, and provides a wide range of strategies, techniques, and activities for building language and ensuring academic success for these students.
With plenty of charts, visuals, and student samples as text support, Stephen shows you that comprehensible, engaging instruction means SLL kids acquire more content and more language. Here's a bundle of practical, teacher-tested ideas for:
- making instruction concrete
- keeping speech understandable
- building second language oral and literacy skills
- supporting students' primary language
- organizing thematic instruction
- boosting small group effectiveness
- implementing authentic assessment
- increasing family involvement
- using online resources
Whether you're involved in program planning, coordinating staff development workshops, or teaching in an elementary classroom, this book offers an abundance of useful ideas.