Synopses & Reviews
You’ve heard all about Second Life. Maybe you’ve already jumped with both feet—and gotten stuck. Or maybe you’re a Second Life veteran who wants to build something or run a business. Fear not! Second Life For Dummies
is hear to hold your hand, pat your back, and cheer you on through this new and enchanting reality.
Written by a pair of Second Life old timers, this easy-to-use, flip-and-find guide is packed with expert advice, seasoned insight, and handy tips and tricks to get you moving fast. You’ll find out how to set up your account, create an avatar, meet people and socialize, and find your comfort zone and stay in it. But it’s a big world out there, so you’ll also learn how to make stuff, buy stuff, do stuff, and keep track of all the stuff you’re accumulating. Discover how to
- Install Second Life get started
- Create and customize your avatar
- Meet and get to know fascinating people
- Stay safe and comfortable as you learn and explore
- Make, wear, and sell your own fashions
- Script your Second Life
- Buy land and build a house
- Become a land baron or a money maker
- Make real money in Second Life
- Get a real-life education—even a degree
Complete with fantastic lists of cool places, answers to big questions, and supplemental software, Second Life For Dummies is your ticket to a great virtual adventure.
Create the world in which you want to live!
Make friends, start a business and create amazing products - on your terms!
If you're feeling overwhelmed by the online world that is Second Life, Second Life For Dummies is the book for you! Written by a pair of experts who know the program inside and out, this book offers the scoop on getting around and making friends as well as how to personalize your avatar or even open a Second Life business.
Discover how to:
In jargon-free accessible language, this book will tell you just what you need to know and nothing you don't. Topics covered include:
* what to do once you get off Orientation Island and how to get around
* customizing your avatar to get the look you want
* Exchange rates from real world dollars to Linden dollars
* managing your finances and making purchases
* meeting the folks you want to meet and deflecting those you don't
* developing a home base for yourself in-world
* helping create the world in which you want to reside by literally designing the things you want-- clothing, transportation, art pieces, etc.
'Second Life For Dummies
tells you just what you need to know and nothing you don\'t to create another you in this 3-D online world. From downloading the software and creating your first free account to constructing a home and building a Second Life (SL) business, this handy guide is the Second Life users\' manual that you wish you had for your first life.
With this guide, you can discover how to:
- Get around after you leave Orientation Island
- Customize your avatar to get the look you want
- Exchange real-world dollars for Linden dollars, and vice versa
- Manage your SL finances and make purchases
- Meet the folks you want to meet and deflect those you don\'t
- Develop an SL home base for yourself
- Create the world you want to live in by literally designing and building the things you want -- from clothing and art pieces to vehicles and furniture
About the Author
Sarah “Intellagirl” Robbins
is the Director of Emerging Technologies for Media Sauce (www.mediasauce.com) in Carmel, Indiana, as well as a Ph.D. candidate in Rhetoric at Ball State University, where she teaches Rhetoric and Composition by using Second Life. She currently spends her time blogging at Ubernoggin.com and researching technology trends for education and marketing. She’s frequently on the go, giving talks all over the country about Second Life and Web 2.0 topics.
Sarah is the proud mother of five-year-old triplets (Morrigan, Teagan, and Xander), who recognize her avatar as “Mommy!” When she’s not hanging with the munchkins, she’s reading a few hundred blogs daily, attending seminars, knitting, and collecting socks. And yes, she does have pink hair in real life, too!
Mark Bell is a Ph.D. student in Telecommunications at Indiana University, where he studies social networks in virtual worlds with the Synthetic Worlds Initiative. Before going back to school, Mark spent 14 years in the software industry as a trainer, a documentation specialist, and an all-about super geek. He is a Canadian transplant in Hoosier Land and gets back across the border north (where they understand “real sports”) as often as he can. Mark is the father of Jackson, who is five. Mark blogs at Storygeek.com
In their “free” time, Mark and Sarah run the Second Life Researcher’s List (SLRL), throw parties for their starving grad student friends, and play Wii games with four five-year-olds.
Table of Contents
Part I: Second Life Overview and Basics.
Chapter 1: The Meaning of (Second) Life.
Chapter 2: Tweaking Your System: Adjusting Your Computer to Best Run Second Life.
Chapter 3: Starting Your Second Life.
Chapter 4: Navigating the Second Life Interface and World.
Part II: Living Your Second Life – Exploring and Socializing.
Chapter 5: Creating Your Second Life Persona.
Chapter 6: Jumping into the Conversation: Express Yourself.
Chapter 7: Getting a Social Second Life.
Chapter 8: Staying in Your Second Life Comfort Zone.
Part III: Inventory, Cash, and Land.
Chapter 9: Becoming Materialistic with Your Second Life Inventory.
Chapter 10: Understanding the Second Life Economy.
Chapter 11: Spending Your Cash in Second Life.
Chapter 12: Staking Your Claim in Second .
Part IV: Building and Customizing.
Chapter 13: Building Basics.
Chapter 14: Taking Your Building Skills to the Next Level.
Chapter 15: The Clothes Make the Avatar: Creating Your Own Clothing.
Chapter 16: Making a Statement with Poses, Animations, and Gestures.
Part V: Real Life Opportunities in Second Life.
17: Getting Paid in Second Life (It’s Not Easy).
Chapter 18: Bringing Big Business to Second Life.
Chapter 19: Education in Second Life.
Part VI: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 20: Ten (Or So) Great Places to Shop.
Chapter 21: Ten Great Places to Visit.