Synopses & Reviews
The first and possibly only book to be reviewed favorably in both The Women's Review of Books
, Sex Work
popularized the term "sex work" to describe the occupations of street prostitutes, exotic dancers, nude models, escorts, porn actresses, and workers in massage parlors, and so changed the way we talk about sex and money. Features the original stories of women in the life, including writings by Sapphire, Nina Hartley, and Joan Nestle.
Updated for the Second Edition:
* Sex Workers' response to AIDS
* Latest information on the legal status of sex work in the United States, Europe, and Asia
* Growth of the international prostitutes' rights movement
* Bibliography, revised to reflect a decades worth of writing and publishing on sex work
* Resources, including activist organizations and publicationsmany just a Web click away
A landmark collection of writings by street prostitutes, exotic dancers, nude models, escorts, porn stars, and massage parlor workers. Since publication in 1987, SEX WORK has generated much discussion and has changed the language we use to talk about sex for money.