Synopses & Reviews
A thorough revision of the bestselling Silverlight 4 in Action. This comprehensive guide teaches Silverlight from the ground up, covering all the new v. 5 features in depth. You'll also explore WCF RIA Services, MVVM, and more—with dozens of code samples you can use in Visual Studio 2010 or the free Visual Web Developer 2010 Express. About the Book
This hands-on guide explores Silverlight from the ground up, covering every feature in rich, practical detail. It is readable and the coverage is comprehensive. You'll master networking, MVVM, and more—with dozens of code samples you can use in Visual Studio or the free Visual Web Developer Express.
Silverlight 5 in Action teaches you how to build desktop-quality applications you can deploy on the web. Beginners will appreciate the progression from simple examples to full applications that employ good design and coding practices. Seasoned . NET developers will love how the sample code embraces and extends what they already know.
Purchase of the print book comes with an offer of a free PDF, ePub, and Kindle eBook from Manning. Also available is all code from the book. What's Inside 2D and 3D graphics and animation Business application services, rules, and validation The MVVM pattern and testing Free appendixes (150 pages) available online
A background in C# or VB.NET is helpful, but no knowledge of Silverlight or XAML is required.
Table of Contents
PART 1 CORE SILVERLIGHT
- Introducing Silverlight
- XAML and the property system
- The application model and the plug-in
- Working with HTML and browsers
- Out-of-browser applications
- The security model and elevated trust
PART 2 CREATING THE USER INTERFACE
- Rendering, layout, and transforming
- Human input
- Text fundamentals
- Editing plain and rich text
- Control basics and UserControls
- Animation and behaviors
- Resources, styles, and control templates
- Extensions, converters, custom controls, and panels
PART 3 WORKING WITH DATA AND SERVICES
- Data controls: DataGrid and DataForm
- Input validation
- Networking basics
- Working with SOAP services
- RESTful services with the ASP.NET Web API
- Working with XML, JSON, RSS, and Atom
- Duplex, sockets, and local connections
PART 4 2D AND 3D GRAPHICS
- Graphics and effects
- Working with images
- Introduction to 3D
- 3D lighting, texturing, and animation
PART 5 MAKING THE MOST OF THE PLATFORM
- Pop-ups, windows, and full-screen applications
- Working with files and directories
- COM, Native Extensions, and p-invoke
PART 6 BEST PRACTICES
- Structuring and testing with the MVVM pattern
- Debugging your application
- The install experience and preloaders
Microsoft's Silverlight is the only development platform that combines the performance, security, and flexibility of a desktop application with cross-platform deployment. The latest version, Silverlight 5, offers tons of new features including improved video, audio, and text rendering, enhanced MVVM support, XNA-based 3D and sound APIs, and under-the-hood performance upgrades.
Silverlight 5 in Action is a thorough revision of the bestselling Silverlight 4 in Action. This comprehensive guide teaches Silverlight from the ground up, covering all the new v. 5 features in depth. It also explores WCF RIA Services, MVVM, and more, with dozens of code samples that can be used in Visual Studio 2010 or the free Visual Web Developer 2010 Express.
About the Author
Pete Brown is a Senior Program Manager with Microsoft on the developer community team lead by Scott Hanselman, as well as a former Microsoft Silverlight MVP, INETA speaker, and RIA Architect for Applied Information Sciences, where he worked for over 13 years. Pete's focus at Microsoft is the community around client application development (WPF, Silverlight, Windows Phone, Surface, Windows Forms, C++, Native Windows API and more).