Synopses & Reviews
The secret is out: That slow cooker that's been collecting dust in your kitchen cabinet is a wonderful and easy tool for making delicious entrees at the touch of a button. With new U.S. sales estimated at 6 million a year, more people are finding slow cookers indispensable in getting a home-cooked meal on the table. Besides tasting good, slow cooked meals are convenient and nutritious because you use fresh, wholesome ingredients.
Slow Cookers For Dummies is for working families, couples, single people, students, and anyone who is tired of takeout. Perhaps you love cooking but have little time to do it or want to decrease your reliance on prepared mixes or boxed convenience foods. Slow cooking may be right for you if you want to
- Save money on food and utility bills
- Control your sodium and fat intake
- Free up your oven and cooktop for more holiday cooking
- Take a hot dish to a potluck supper
If you already know how to use a slow cooker, the delicious recipes in this book can help you expand your repertoire beyond soups and stews. If you're thinking of getting a slow cooker, Slow Cookers For Dummies takes you from the basics of how these cookers work to preparing special occasion meals, to troubleshooting slow cooker problems.
Here's a closer look at what Slow Cookers For Dummies includes:
- Guidelines on how to choose the right slow cooker for you
- Techniques to help you slow-cook the right way
- Easy recipes for snacks, beverages, chili, stews, and casseroles
- Scrumptious recipes for roasting beef, pork, lamb, and poultry
- How-to's on cooking and freezing in batches
- Ways to adapt favorite traditionally cooked dishes for the slow cooker
In Slow Cookers for Dummies, food and appliance cooking experts Tom Lacalamita and Glenna Vance show that this classic cooking appliance is really a wonderful tool for making creative, delicious meals. With 75 recipes for making the most out of your slow cooker, you'll never put that slow cooker in your cabinet again.
Includes more than 100 almost-effortless recipes! Enjoy flavorful home cooking without slaving in the kitchen!
Preparing delicious food doesn't have to be labor-intensive; with a slow cooker and this handy guide, it's easy! The book provides no-fuss recipes for everyday and holidays, describes slow-cooker features, and offers safety and troubleshooting tips. Soul-satisfying recipes include Chunky South-of-the-Border Beef Stew, Curried Chicken with Basmati Rice, and Apple Bread Pudding.
Discover how to
- Enjoy the latest slowcooker innovations
- Adjust cooking time to your schedule
- Intensify food flavor before slow cooking
- Adapt your favorite recipes
- Plan both simple and special meals
The Dummies Way:
- Explanations in plain English
- "Get in, get out " information
- Icons and other navigational aids
- Online cheat sheet
- Top ten lists
- A dash of humor and fun
Get smart! @www.dummies.com
- Find listings of all our books
- Choose from many different subject categories
- Sign up for eTips at etips.dummies.com
Provides recipes and instructions for adapting recipes for slow-cooking, describes features, and gives tips for timing and safety.
About the Author
Tom Lacalamita has written five appliance cookbooks and appeared on Good Morning America®, CNBC®, and NPR®. Glenna Vance is a food writer and recipe developer.
Table of Contents
PART I: Revving Up Your Slow Cooker.
Chapter 1: Slow Cooking in the Fast Lane.
Chapter 2: From the Fire to the Pot.
PART II: Making the Best and Safest Use of Your Slow Cooker.
Chapter 3: Slow Cooker Basics from Start to Finish.
Chapter 4: Food Safety 101.
Chapter 5: From the Stove to the Slow Cooker.
PART III: Basic and Delicious Recipes for the Slow Cooker.
Chapter 6: Snacks, Dips, and Beverages.
Chapter 7: Spoonfuls of Goodness: Soups, Chowders, and Chili.
Chapter 8: Slow Simmering Stews.
Chapter 9: The Big Cuts: Roasts.
Chapter 10: Casseroles.
Chapter 11: Desserts and Jams.
PART IV: Jump-Starting Dinner with Your Slow Cooker.
Chapter 12: Cooking with a Master Meat Sauce.
Chapter 13: Master Roast Turkey Breast Recipes.
Chapter 14: New York Penicillin: Master Chicken Broth Recipes.
PART V: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 15: Ten Special Occasions for Slow Cooker Entrees.
Chapter 16: Ten Problems and How to Handle Them.
Chapter 17: Ten Web Sites to Check Out.
Chapter 18: Ten Tips for Great Slow Cooking.
Appendix A: Contact Information for Slow Cooker Manufacturers.
Appendix B: Metric Conversion Guide.
Book Registration Information.