Synopses & Reviews
Real Teachers, Real Families and Students, Real Classrooms, Real Research.
Contemporary concepts and evidence-based practices prepare new teachers for their roles in the education and well-being of students with disabilities and other special needs. Marilyn Friend combines research-informed concepts and skills with practical information for educators working in this challenging age of high standards and accountability, curriculum access, inclusive practices, professional collaboration, and student diversity. The third edition integrates the requirements of the NCLB and IDEA legislation with evidence-based practices so that readers understand the expectations for educators and students, and learn how critical concepts translate into educational practices.
Real People, Real Classrooms:
- Chapter Opening Vignettes describe the experiences of three different students of varying ages as they relate to the topics discussed in each chapter and are referenced at key points in the chapter.
- Firsthand Account features real life stories from teachers, students, parents, and school professionals sharing their own experiences and perspectives relating to life and learning with special needs.
- Speaking from Experience features capture the insights and advice of experienced teachers on topics ranging from working effectively with colleagues to finding ways to juggle all the responsibilities of being a special educator to addressing a variety of professional challenges, including those related to student behavior and family concerns.
- Instruction in Action highlight teaching application for intensive instruction delivered by special education teachers in various educational settings.
- Positive Behavioral Supports illustrates the many positive, proactive ways to address students’ behavior/social issues as part of overall classroom teaching and learning.
Cutting Edge Information
- Technology Notes features showcase fascinating instructional and assistive technology applications for teaching students with exceptional needs in special educational settings as well as links to information that can help beginning teachers plan their lessons, motivate their students, and keep abreast of their rapidly changing field.
- Professional Edge features describe conceptual materials and cutting edge information that connect theory to practice.
This Student Value Edition is a three-hole punched, loose-leaf version of the textbook and provides students the opportunity to personalize their book by incorporating their own notes and taking only the portion of the book they need to class — all at a fraction of the bound book price.
This package contains the following components:
-0132564068: Special Education: Contemporary Perspectives for School Professionals, Student Value Edition