Synopses & Reviews
The ideal on-the-job reference guide for SQL Server 2008 database administrators
If you manage and administer SQL Server 2008 in the real world, you need this detailed guide at your desk. From planning to disaster recovery, this practical book explores tasks and scenarios that a working SQL Server DBA faces regularly and shows you step by step how to handle them. Topics include installation and configuration, creating databases and tables, optimizing the database server, planning for high availability, and more.
And, if you're preparing for MCTS or MCITP certification in SQL Server 2008 administration, this book is the perfect supplement to your preparation, featuring a CD with practice exams, flashcards, and video walkthroughs of the more difficult administrative tasks
- Delves into Microsoft's SQL Server 2008, a rich set of enterprise-level database services for business-critical applications
- Explores the skills you'll need on the job as a SQL Server 2008 administrator
- Shows you how to implement, maintain, and repair the SQL Server database, including bonus videos on the CD where the authors walks you through the more difficult tasks
- Covers database design, installation and configuration, creating databases and tables, security, backup and high availability, and more
- Supplements your preparation for MCTS and MCITP SQL Server 2008 certification with in-depth coverage of the skill sets required for certification, as defined by Microsoft
- Uses hands-on exercises and real-world scenarios to keep what you're learning grounded in the reality of the workplace
Make sure you're not only prepared for certification, but also for your job as a SQL Server 2008 administrator, with this practical reference!
Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.
Take Your Career to the Next Level with This Practical Reference
Database expert Tom Carpenter gives you the information you need to not only prepare for the MCTS and MCITP certification exams for SQL Server 2008 Database Administration, but also to excel in your job. From planning to disaster recovery to security best practices, this reference explores the real-world tasks and scenarios you'll face as an SQL Server 2008 Database Administrator and shows you step by step how to handle them.
Install and configure SQL Server 2008
Implement, maintain, and repair the SQL Server database
Utilize indexes and views to get a better understanding of your data
Monitor and tune your database for optimal performance
Keep your data safe from threats and vulnerabilities
Achieve high availability by clustering your servers
Prepare for MCTS and MCITP SQL Server 2008 Database Administration certification
FEATURED ON THE CD
See video walk-throughs for some of the more challenging tasks you'll face on the job.
Test your knowledge with practice exams that help you prepare for certification.
Take advantage of electronic flashcards to reinforce your understanding of key concepts.
Covers the exam objectives for the following Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Administration Exams:
- MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Installation and Maintenance (Exam 70-432)
- MCITP: Designing, Optimizing and Maintaining a SQL Server 2008 Database Server Infrastructure (Exam 70-450)
About the Author
Tom Carpenter, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, MCITP: SQL Server 2005, is the founder of and Senior Consultant for The Systems Education and Consulting Company (SysEdCo), a training and consulting firm located in central Ohio. He is the author of several books on technical topics, including networking infrastructure, database management, and VoIP.
Table of Contents
Part I Introducing SQL Server 2008.
Chapter 1 Understanding SQL Server's Role.
Chapter 2 Installing SQL Server 2008.
Chapter 3 Working with the Administration Tools.
Chapter 4 SQL Server Command-Line Administration.
Part II Designing Database Solutions.
Chapter 5 Database Concepts and Terminology.
Chapter 6 ERD and Capacity Planning.
Chapter 7 Normalization: Enough Is Enough.
Part III Implementing Database Solutions.
Chapter 8 Creating SQL Server Databases.
Chapter 9 Creating Tables.
Chapter 10 Indexes and Views.
Chapter 11 Triggers and Stored Procedures.
Chapter 12 Implementing Advanced Features.
Part IV Administration and Maintenance.
Chapter 13 Creating Jobs, Operators, and Alerts.
Chapter 14 Performance Monitoring and Tuning.
Chapter 15 Policy-Based Management.
Chapter 16 Backup and Restoration.
Part V SQL Server Security.
Chapter 17 Security Threats and Principles.
Chapter 18 Authentication and Encryption.
Chapter 19 Security Best Practices.
Part VI High Availability and Data Distribution.
Chapter 20 SQL Server Failover Clustering.
Chapter 21 Database Mirroring and Snapshots.
Chapter 22 Implementing Replication.
Appendix A Microsoft's Certification Program.
Appendix B About the Companion CD.