Synopses & Reviews
For undergraduate courses in Liberal Arts Mathematics, Quantitative Literacy, and General Education.
NEW: Now with “Mini-Excursions” Included!
These are enrichment topics that have been added at the end of each part and require an understanding of the core material covered in one or more of the chapters. Shorter than a full chapter but much more substantive than an appendix. Each mini-excursion includes its own exercise set.
This very successful liberal arts mathematics textbook is a collection of “excursions” into the real-world applications of modern mathematics. The excursions are organized into four independent parts: 1) The Mathematics of Social Choice, 2) Management Science, 3) Growth and Symmetry, and 4) Statistics. Each part consists of four chapters plus a mini-excursion (new feature in 6/e). The book is written in an informal, very readable style, with pedagogical features that make the material both interesting and clear. The presentation is centered on an assortment of real-world examples and applications specifically chosen to illustrate the usefulness, relevance, and beauty of liberal arts mathematics.
Student Resource Guide contains full worked out solutions to odd-numbered exercises from the text, "selected hints" that point the reader in one of many directions leading to a solution and keys to student success including lists of skills that will help prepare for chapter exams.
Table of Contents
I. THE MATHEMATICS OF SOCIAL CHOICE.
1. The Mathematics of Voting: The Paradoxes of Democracy.
2. Weighted Voting Systems: The Power Game.
3. Fair Division: The Mathematics of Sharing.
4. The Mathematics of Apportionment: Making the Rounds.
Mini-Excursion 1: A-1: Appointment Today - The Huntington-Hill Method
II. MANAGEMENT SCIENCE.
5. Euler Circuits: The Circuit Comes to Town.
6. The Traveling-Salesman Problem: Hamilton Joins the Circuit.
7. The Mathematics of Networks: The Cost of Being Connected.
8. The Mathematics of Scheduling: Directed Graphs and Critical Paths.
Mini-Excursion 2: B-1: A Touch of Color - Graph Coloring
III. GROWTH AND SYMMETRY.
9. Spiral Growth in Nature: Fibonacci Numbers and the Golden Ratio.
10. The Mathematics of Population Growth: There is Strength in Numbers.
11. Symmetry: Mirror, Mirror, off the Wall…
12. Fractal Geometry: Fractally Speaking.
Mini-Excursion 3: C-1: The Time Value of Money - Annuities and Loans
13. Collecting Statistical Data: Censuses, Surveys, and Studies.
14. Descriptive Statistics: Graphing and Summarizing Data.
15. Chances, Probability, and Odds: Measuring Uncertainty.
16. Normal Distributions: Everything is Back to Normal (Almost).
Mini-Excursion 4: D-1: The Mathematics of Managing Rick - Expected Value
Answers to Selected Problems.