Synopses & Reviews
A dream come true for stargazers and all who have stood in awe of the night sky, The Star Lore Handbook is a complete, fully illustrated guide to identifying the eighty-eight recognized constellations and the principal stars that comprise them. Deftly weaving together astronomy, myth, and symbolism, author Geoffrey Cornelius tours the rich heritage of the stars and planets -- from meteors and orbits to astrology, moon worship, and astral tales of love and tragedy. Including a quick-reference table that lets beginners spot major constellations right away, this unique companion introduces not only modern scientific knowledge, but also the beliefs and folklore of Ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, China, medieval and Renaissance Europe, and Central and Native America. Wonderfully illustrated with specially commissioned maps and artwork, color photographs, and line drawings, this is an ideal guide to the timeless celestial marvels.
The Starlore Handbook: An Essential Guide to the Night Sky not only tells how to find various major and minor constellations, but also how to draw the starlines that outline their mythic representations. Included are ancient stories that helps make the sky so wondrous and meaningful. Everyone who camps needs a book like this. The Chicago Tribune
This unique starwatcher's handbook combines a practicle guide to the night sky with fascinating accounts of the myths and symbols associated with each constellation.
- Covers all 88 constellations each illustrated with an original pictoral star map-practical, evocative and appealing
- Gives practical guidelines for identifying any constellations with the help of special signpost charts
- Includes whole sky maps for instant reference, showing the changing positions of the stars at different times of the year
- Covers the celestial myths and symbols of many cultures, from ancient Greece to China
- Provides for each constellation a quick reference table of the most prominent stars, listing brightness, color and symbolic associations
About the Author
Geoffrey Cornelius is an expert in astrology and co-author of Chronicle Books' The Secret Language of the Stars and Planets.