Synopses & Reviews
- Incorporate stocks into your investment plan
- Ride out the highs and lows of the market
- Balance risks and rewards to reach your goals
- Profit from emerging megatrends and sector opportunities
Grow your stock investments in today's changing environment
This practical guide gives you proven strategies for selecting and managing profitable investments in either a bear or bull market. You'll discover how to navigate the new economic landscape and choose the right stocks for different situations and you'll find fresh real-world examples that show you how to maximize your returns.
- Stock investing 101 understand stock value, assess your finances, set your investing goals, and know your investing style
- Risky business get the 4-1-1 on risk, and understand how you can plan around it to keep your money growing
- The more you know discover how to stay on top of financial news, read stock tables, and work with brokers to become a more knowledgeable investor
- Before you buy find out how to evaluate a company's financial health; brush up on emerging sectors, industries, and megatrends; and understand the effects of politics on stocks
- Use smart stock strategy find tips and tactics for using brokerage orders, trying trade triggers, keeping the taxman at bay, and more
Open the book and find:
- Tips on how to take stock of your current financial situation and goals
- Common approaches to stock investing
- Pointers for adding exchange-traded funds to your investing mix
- Basic accounting methods for choosing winning stocks
- Information on investing tactics such as brokerage orders and trade triggers
- Considerations for when your stock portfolio is down
- The latest resources for stock investors
Stock Investing For Dummies,
4th Edition contains 25 percent new and revised material designed to keep this title competitive as the stock market prepares to go through a series of changes. It includes:
- A new chapter on ETFs, a safer way to be more diversified in the stock market.
- New rules, new exchanges, new investment vehicles—the 4th edition fills in the “new blanks” and helps stock investors avoid new pitfalls while profiting from new strategies.
- The European debt crisis (and others) is a long-term problem that will impact the stock market for years. The 4th edition of Stock Investing For Dummies shows investors why and how to protect themselves.
- Technological changes mean new products, services and ways of doing business. There are also new research and information sources available. The 4th edition provides insight to stock investors looking at these profitable opportunities.
- Politics have a definite impact on the economy and financial markets. Stock investors need to get the early warnings so that they can be on the right side of their investments.
The fast and easy way to grow your stock investments in today's changing market
The changes, events and conditions affecting stock investors since the recent economic crisis have been dramatic. Today's economic and financial landscape offers new challenges and opportunities for investors and money managers. This new edition of Stock Investing For Dummies provides you with the information you need to protect and grow your stock investments in today's changing market.
Stock Investing For Dummies contains 25 percent new and revised material designed to help investors navigate an ever-changing stock market with: information on ETFs, a safer way to be more diversified in the stock market; new rules, exchanges, and investment vehicles; the latest on the European debt crisis; and much more.
- Explores how technological changes mean new products, services, and ways of doing business
- Shows you how to use the latest research and information available
- Covers how (and why) to protect yourself
Stock Investing For Dummies is for anyone new to investing in the stock market who is looking for a trusted, comprehensive reference to make sure their investments grow.
About the Author
Paul Mladjenovic is a Certified Financial Planner and national speaker on investing and financial matters. He is the owner of PM Financial Services and www.RavingCapitalist.com; he is also the author of Precious Metals Investing For Dummies.
Table of Contents
Part I: The Essentials of Stock Investing 9
Chapter 1: Surveying the World of Stock Investing 11
Chapter 2: Taking Stock of Your Current Financial Situation and Goals 17
Chapter 3: Defi ning Common Approaches to Stock Investing 35
Chapter 4: Recognizing Risk and Volatility 45
Chapter 5: Stock Investing through Exchange-Traded Funds 63
Part II: Before You Start Buying 71
Chapter 6: Gathering Information 73
Chapter 7: Going for Brokers 93
Chapter 8: Investing for Long-Term Growth 105
Chapter 9: Investing for Income 119
Chapter 10: Understanding Technical Analysis for Stock Investors 133
Part III: Picking Winners 151
Chapter 11: Using Basic Accounting to Choose Winning Stocks 153
Chapter 12: Decoding Company Documents 171
Chapter 13: Emerging Sector and Industry Opportunities 183
Chapter 14: Investing with Megatrends 193
Chapter 15: The Big Economic and Political Picture 207
Part IV: Investment Strategies and Tactics 219
Chapter 16: Choosing among Investing, Trading, and Speculating 221
Chapter 17: Understanding Brokerage Orders and Trading Techniques 233
Chapter 18: Using Trade Triggers and Advanced Conditional Orders 249
Chapter 19: Getting a Handle on DPPs, DRPs, and DCA PDQ 257
Chapter 20: Corporate and Government Skullduggery: Looking at Insider Activity 267
Chapter 21: Keeping More of Your Money from the Taxman 279
Part V: The Part of Tens 291
Chapter 22: Ten Considerations When Your Stock Portfolio Is Down 293
Chapter 23: Ten Considerations When Your Stock Portfolio Is Up 299
Chapter 24: Ten Challenges and Opportunities for Stock Investors 305
Chapter 25: Ten Great Strategies That Go Well with Stocks 311
Part VI: Appendixes 317
Appendix A: Resources for Stock Investors 319
Appendix B: Financial Ratios 335