Synopses & Reviews
Enjoy the tales of Mexico--in Spanish and in English!
In Stories from Mexico/Historias de Mexico, we've placed the Spanish and English stories side by side--lado a lado--so you can practice and improve your reading skills in your new language while enjoying the support of your native tongue. This way, you'll avoid the inconvenience of constantly having to look up unfamiliar words and expressions in a dictionary. Read as much as you can understand, and then look to the facing page for help if necessary. As you read, you can check your comprehension by comparing the two versions of the story. You'll also find a bilingual vocabulary list at the end of the book, so you'll have a handy reference for new words.
Stories from Mexico/Historias de Mexico gives you the chance to
- Enjoy 16 well-known short stories that chronicle 1,500 years of Mexican history
- Fine-tune your language skills while gaining insight into the rich cultural heritage of the Mexican people
- Improve your reading and listening skills with free audio downloads of nine chapters from the book at mhprofessional.com
Genevieve Barlow and William N. Stivers are experienced Spanish educators and authors.
Side-by-side bilingual texts . . .now with free audio downloads of selected passages!
By having Spanish texts and their English translations on facing pages, you will no longer be intimidated by unfamiliar words or expressions. You can find their translations right across the page. You can also use the English text to check your comprehension. New to these editions is access to free audio downloads from mhprofessional.com. Voiced by native Spanish speakers, each download includes 15 to 20 minutes of audio and covers six to eight reading passages.
As an intermediate to early-advanced student of Spanish, you will improve your Spanish reading comprehension--as well as gain an insight into the Mexican culture--with this engaging book.
About the Author
Genevieve Barlow and William N. Stivers are experienced Spanish educators.
Table of Contents
1. The Sun and the Moon/El sol y la luna
2. The Rabbits Ears/las orejas del conejo
3. The Lion and the Cricket/El león y el grillo
4. The Sweethearts/Los novios
5. The Dwarf of Uxmal/The enano de Uxmal
6. A Bed of Roses/ Un lecho de rosas
7. Atzimba, the Princess/Atzimba, la princesa
8. The Virgin of Guadalupe/La Virgen de Guadalupe
9. The “China Poblana”/La china poblana
10. The Friar and the Scorpion/El fraile y el alacrán
11. The Little Animal that Sings/El animalito que canta
12. The House of Tiles/La Casa de los Azulejos
13. The Mystery of Elm Grove Street/El misterio de la calle de Olmedo
14. The Lighthouse Keepers Daughter/La hija del torrero
15. Who Is Wise?/¿Quién es sabio?
16. First Prize/El premio gordo