Synopses & Reviews
¡Agarra la onda!--learn the Spanish they speak en el calle.*
How would you ask "What's up?" in Cancun? How do they say, "Don't bug me!" in Punta Cana? And how would a Spaniard tell you to "Go jump in the lake!"? Spanish is spoken by more than 340 million people in twenty-three countries. And in each region, the people have their own special take on the language. Fortunately, with Streetwise Spanish, you can turn regional differences from "problems" into colorful expressions that add flair to your language and help you sound at home anywhere.
This audio edition of the bestselling guide takes you on a grand tour of everyday Spanish as it's spoken around the world. With the help of thirty dialogs, enacted by native speakers, it clues you in on the idioms, colloquialisms, slang, and vulgarisms currently used by Spanish speakers of all walks of life, from LA to Las Palmas, Madrid to Manila.
The best guide to everyday Spanish, Streetwise Spanish, Audio Edition tells you how with:
- An audio CD featuring thirty dialogs spoken by Spanish speakers from more than fifteen countries--for authentic regional accents
- Dozens of cartoons, jokes, and anecdotes
- An overview of "signature" words differentiating speakers across the Spanish-speaking world
- Engaging exercises that let you test comprehension and fine-tune skills
- Articles explaining how cultural attitudes influence the use of slang
- Vocabulary lists and a mini-dictionary
* Get with the program! (literally, Catch the sound wave!)--Learn the Spanish they speak on the street.
Easy lessons that help you speak Spanish like a native
This revised edition of Streetwise Spanish features an overview of the “signature” words that differentiate speakers across the Spanish-speaking world. It also includes an audio CD featuring 30 dialogs from the book, spoken by native speakers from more than 15 countries and exercises that test your grasp of key slang expressions.