Synopses & Reviews
The most important person in a young girls life? Her father.
Teen health expert Dr. Meg Meeker has the data and clinical experience to prove it. After more than twenty years of counseling girls, she knows that fathers, more than anyone else, set the course for their daughters lives.
Now Dr. Meeker, author of the critically acclaimed Epidemic: How Teen Sex Is Killing Our Kids, shows you how to strengthen--or rebuild--your bond with your daughter, and how to use it to shape her life, and yours, for the better.
Directly challenging the feminist attack on traditional masculinity, Dr. Meeker demonstrates that the most important factor for girls growing up into confident, well-adjusted women is a strong father with conservative values. To have one, she shows, is the best protection against eating disorders, failure in school, STDs, unwed pregnancy, and drug or alcohol abuseand the best predictor of academic achievement, successful marriage, and a satisfying emotional life.
Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters reveals:
- The essential characteristics and virtues of strong fathersand how to develop them
- How daughters take cues from their fathers on everything from drug use, drinking, smoking, and having sex, to self-esteem, moodiness, and seeking attention from boys
- Why girls want you to place restrictions on them (even though theyll complain when you do)
- How to become a hero to your daughterand why she needs that more than anything
- The one mistake fathers make that is the primary cause of girls "hooking up"
- Why girls depend on the guidance of fathers through, and even beyond, their college years
- Recipe for disaster: the notion that girls "need to make their own decisions and mistakes"
- Why girls need Godand how your faith, or lack thereof, will influence her
- How to communicate with your daughterand how not to
- True stories of "prodigal daughters"and how their fathers helped bring them back
Dads, you are far more powerful than you think you are. Your daughters need the support that only fathers can provideand if you are willing to follow Dr. Meekers advice on how to guide your daughter, to stand between her and a toxic culture, your rewards will be unmatched.
Using the best medical research, experience from her own practice, and numerous interviews, Dr. Meeker shows why "Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters" is not a slogan--it's a necessity.
With nearly thirty years of counseling girls, teen health expert Dr. Meg Meeker explains why girls benefit from an active father figurethe man who must be for his daughter both leader and protector, counsel and spiritual guide.
From cradling his newborn to walking her down the aisle, a father must relish his paramount responsibilityguiding the course of his daughters life.
Learn how to strengthenor rebuildyour relationship to better both your life and hers in the bestselling Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know.
About the Author
MEG MEEKER, M.D., has spent nearly thirty years practicing pediatric and adolescent medicine and counseling teens and parents. Dr. Meeker is a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics and a fellow of the National Advisory Board of The Medical Institute. Dr. Meeker is a popular speaker on teen issues and is frequently heard on nationally syndicated radio and television programs. She lives and works in Traverse City, Michigan, where she shares a medical practice with her husband, Walter. They have four children.