Synopses & Reviews
The super-bestselling book that's enhancing Americans' health
By eating the fourteen SuperFoods highlighted in Dr. Steven Pratt's instant bestseller, you can actually stop the incremental deteriorations that lead to common ailments and diseases
- Beans -- reduce obesity
- Blueberries -- lower risk for cardiovascular disease
- Broccoli -- lowers the incidence of cataracts and fights birth defects
- Oats -- reduce the risk of type II diabetes
- Oranges -- prevent strokes
- Pumpkin -- lowers the risk of various cancers
- Wild salmon -- lowers the risk of heart disease
- Soy -- lowers cholesterol
- Spinach -- decreases the chance of cardiovascular disease and age-related macular degeneration
- Tea -- helps prevent osteoporosis
- Tomatoes -- raise the skin's sun protection factor
- Turkey -- helps build a strong immune system
- Walnuts -- reduce the risk of developing coronary heart disease, diabetes, and cancer
* Yogurt-promotes strong bones and a healthy heart
SuperFoods Rx includes recipes created by Chef Michel Stroot of the Golden Door Spa and teaches you how to incorporate SuperFoods and their sidekicks into your diet. SuperFoods Rx is an indispensable guide to a healthy, long, and energetic life.
Identifies fourteen important foods that are rich in micronutrients, phytonutrients, antioxidants, and carotenoids that can prevent the onset of chronic diseases--beans, blueberries, broccoli, oats and wheat germ, oranges, pumpkin, salmon, soy, spinach, green and black tea, turkey breast, tomatoes, walnuts, and nonfat yogurt. Reprint.
This guide not only outlines the amazing benefits of 14 healthful foods, it also includes delicious recipes, kitchen tips, and shopping suggestions that will make the SuperFoods lifestyle simple and irresistible.
Everyone knows that an apple is a better snack than potato chips. But did you know that a daily handful of walnuts or a bowl of blueberries can actually improve your health and well-being and increase your lifespan? Backed by proven research on fourteen of the most nutrient-dense, powerhouse foods, SuperFoods Rx
puts the tools in your hand—and on your plate—that will give you more energy, greater protection against disease, and a healthier overall lifestyle now and for the future, whether you're 23 or 63.
SuperFoods Rx includes:
- Individual chapters on each of the fourteen SuperFoods with the health benefits of each outlined and supported by Dr. Pratt's research
- Helpful ideas for simple ways to get more SuperFoods into your everyday meals
- Fifty mouthwatering SuperFoods recipes specifically developed by chef Michel Stroot of the world-renowned Golden Door Spa
- A shopping list of brand-name foods to ensure that you are buying the most nutrient-dense SuperFoods available
- Guidelines for forming daily nutritional goals and supplement recommendations
And much more!
SuperFoods Rx—Your guide to a healthy, long, and energetic life!
Whether you're 23 or 63 now is the time to start eating the SuperFoods way. By incorporating these foods into you regular diet you can actually change the course of your biochemistry and stop the incremental changes in your body that lead to diseases such as type II diabetes, hypertension, certain cancers, obesity, and Alzheimer's.
So what are the SuperFoods? Don't worry. You won't have to subsist on sprouts and shots of wheatgrass juice. The fourteen foods are beans, blueberries, broccoli, oats, oranges, pumpkin, salmon, soy, spinach, tea, tomatoes, turkey, walnuts and yogurt. Not exactly a broccoli fan? No problem. Each food comes with a list of "sidekicks" that provide similar benefits. Have cabbage, turnips, or bok choy instead.
About the Author
Steven G. Pratt, M.D., is a world-renowned authority on the role of nutrition and lifestyle in the prevention of disease and optimization of health. He is a senior staff ophthalmologist at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, California.
Kathy Matthews is a bestselling author of fifteen books, including the New York Times bestseller SuperFoods Rx with Dr. Steven Pratt.