Synopses & Reviews
Tanzania is the jewel of Africa's east coast. Famous highlights inviting travelers to discover this incredible country include the Serengeti, Mount Kilimanjaro, Ngorongoro Crater and the exotic island of Zanzibar. Footprint's 3rd edition guide has been fully updated, including details on all these plus many more to help you get off the beaten track. Whether you fancy wildlife spotting or lazy days on the beach this guide covers it all.
*Witness the greatest wildlife show on earth on the plains of the Serengeti
*Includes a 32-page dedicated wildlife guide
*Great coverage of all the adventure activities on offer hiking, ballooning, diving, fishing and more
*Accommodation listings for every budget, from luxury lodges to bush camps and remote coastal hideaways
*In-depth culture and history section
*Includes carefully selected itineraries offering advice on how to get the best out of your trip whether youre travelling for a week or a month
*Extensive thoroughly researched information to help you plan your trip as well as advise you on the ground
*The heart of the guide is broken in to the key regions of Tanzania and gives you comprehensive information on each of these regions
*Each regional section has an overview map, local information on how to get around with transport and street maps where relevant, a short history of the region, thorough advice on what to see and do and a directory of key local information on banks, embassies, internet cafes and medical services.
*Also includes a full-color mini atlas which has maps of each region to help you get your bearings
*Key local words and phrases are included to help you communicate ensuring an even better travel experience
From the vast array of game reserves to glorious beaches on the Indian Ocean, Footprints fully updated 3rd edition will help you navigate this fascinating destination.
Packed with information on Tanzanias 24 game reserves and national parks (one of the highest number in Africa) Footprints 3rd edition Handbook will help you make the most of this beautiful destination from the vast plains of the Serengeti to the peak of Kilimanjaro.
· Expert author Lizzie Williams knows Tanzania inside out; she has travelled extensively throughout the country researching this new edition
· Comprehensive coverage of the main attractions plus dozens of activities and adventures that will help you get off the beaten track
· In-depth information about history, culture and politics, plus detailed listings and advice to help you select the right safari
· Inspirational trip planning with suggested itineraries, maps and a special east African wildlife feature
About the Author
Originally from London, Lizzie has worked and lived in Africa for 14 years. Starting out on trips across the continent as a tour leader on overland trucks, she has sat with a gorilla, slept amongst elephants, fed a giraffe and swum with a hippo and is now something of an expert on border crossings and African beer. For Footprint she is author of South Africa, Namibia, Kenya and Tanzania; has written the only country guide to Nigeria and the first city guide to Johannesburg for Bradt; is author of the AA Spiral Guide to South Africa and Africa Overland, a glossy look at the overland route from Nairobi to Cape Town, is co-author of the DK Eyewitness to Kenya, and has contributed to Turkey and Egypt for Rough Guides. She has written various online African destination guides for leading websites in the UK and US including Frommers, British Airways and World Travel Guide.net. When not on the road, Lizzie lives in Cape Town.
Table of Contents
1) Planning your trip; 2) Essentials; 3) Dar es Salaam; 4) Coastal Tanzania; 5) Zanzibar and Pemba; 6) North to Kilimanjaro and Moshi; 7) Arusha; 8) Northern Circuit game parks; 9) Around Lake Victoria; 10) Central Region; 11) Southwest Tanzania; 12) Background; 13) Footnotes