Synopses & Reviews
Take your programming expertise to the next level with help from Java programming all-stars Herb Schildt and James Holmes. Together they unlock the secrets that professional programmers use to create world-class software. Inside, Herb and James apply Java to a wide variety of high-powered applications, each demonstrating different features and techniques. Examples range from language interpreters, Web crawlers, and e-mail subsystems to expression parsers, statistical tools, and financial applets. You'll even see how to apply Java to Artificial Intelligence (AI)! Each application can be used as-is, or as a starting point for your own development. From networking to parsing to AI and beyond, this book contains some of the most exciting Java code found anywhere.
- Explore the genius of Java
- Create an expression parser for numeric expressions
- Build a Web crawler
- Design and implement a computer language interpreter
- Develop a complete e-mail subsystem
- Construct a download manager that streamlines downloading files from the Internet
- Develop statistical tools that compute the mean, median, mode, standard deviation, and more
- Create financial applets and servlets that compute the regular payment on a loan, the future value of an investment, an annuity, and more
- Develop AI-based search techniques
- Explore Java's HTML rendering capabilities
There is something for every programmer in this book, which presents a number of practical, high-powered applications of Java. Included are pure code subsystems such as the expression parser, which readers will adapt for use in their own programs, financial calculations and statistics programs that feature ready-for-use applets/servlets, interpreter or the AI-based search engine, and much more.
This text provides complex code examples that demonstrate the elegance and artistry of Java. Tips and tricks are also included.
About the Author
Herb Schildt (Mahomet, IL) is a leading authority on C and C++ and a best-selling author whose books have sold more than 2 million copies. His acclaimed C and C++ books include Teach Yourself C, C++ from the Ground Up, C++: The Complete Reference, Java Programmer's Reference, STL Programming from the Ground Up, Windows 98 Programming from the Ground Up, and co-author of C/C++ Annotated Archives.
Table of Contents
1: The Genius of Java
2: A Recursive-Descent Expression Parser
3: Implementing Language Interpreters in Java
4: Creating a Download Manager in Java
5: Implementing an E-mail Client in Java
6: Crawling the Web with Java
7: Rendering HTML with Java
8: Statistics, Graphing, and Java
9: Financial Applets and Servlets
10: AI-Based Problem Solving