Synopses & Reviews
This biography of Lawrence is unlike any other in its focus on the essential character of the artist and in its synthesis of the facts of his life and thought. It is written not for specialists, but for general readers who wish to deepen their understanding of the development of Lawrence's thought and feeling over the course of his lifetime. The author blends intellectual biography and psychology to focus on Lawrence's religious nature as a shaping force in his life.
Table of Contents
Abbreviations Used in Citing Works by D. H. Lawrence
1. The Religious Sense of Life
2. The Oedipal Problem and the Young Bachelor
3. Lawrence's Early Beliefs and Novels (1901-12)
4. Love and Rebirth: Sons and Lovers and The Rainbow
5. Construction and Destruction: World War I and Rananim
6. The Going Apart: Women in Love and "The Reality of Peace"
7. The Search for Wholeness
8. Blood Consciousness
9. Phallic Consciousness