Synopses & Reviews
This work can be used as a reference or supplementary textbook forgraduates and undergraduates. The book begins with a detailed review of soil mechanics concepts and analytical techniques used infoundation engineering. Subsequent areas covered include soil testing, geotechnical design of combined spread footings, structuraldesign of foundations, and design of driven piles, drilled shafts, laterally loaded piles, and retaining walls. Final chapters addressstability analysis and design of slopes, methods of soft ground improvement, and the impact of groundwater on the design of earthenstructures. This second edition describes applications in new areas such as unsaturated soil mechanics, analysis of transient flowthrough soils, deep foundation construction monitoring based on thermal integrity profiling, and current ground remediationtechniques. This edition contains new material on alternative analytical techniques such as the force polygon method of analysis. B&w photos show equipment and installations.Annotation ©2014 Ringgold, Inc., Portland, OR (protoview.com)
Considering how structures interact with soil, and building proper foundations, is vital to ensuring public safety and to the longevity of buildings. Understanding the strength and compressibility of subsurface soil is essential to the foundation engineer. The Foundation Engineering Handbook, Second Edition provides the fundamentals of foundation engineering needed by professional engineers and engineering students.
It presents both classical and state-of-the-art design and analysis techniques for earthen structures and examines the principles and design methods of foundation engineering needed for design of building foundations, embankments, and earth retaining structures. It covers basic soil mechanics, and soil and groundwater modeling concepts, along with the latest research results.
What s New in the Second Edition:
- Adds alternative analytical techniques to nearly every chapter
- Supplements existing material with new content
- Includes additional applications in the state of the art such as unsaturated soil mechanics, analysis of transient flow through soils, deep foundation construction monitoring based on thermal integrity profiling, and updated ground remediation techniques
- Covers reliability-based design and LRFD (load resistance factor design) concepts not addressed in most foundation engineering texts
- Provides more than 500 illustrations and over 1,300 equations
The text serves as an ideal resource for practicing foundation and geotechnical engineers, as well as a supplemental textbook for both undergraduate and graduate levels.