Synopses & Reviews
Wynn Kapit, the designer of the extremely popular Anatomy Coloring Book,
has adapted that same coloring format to the subject of geography. This method of learning has proven to be unsurpassed in developing awareness, achieving retention, and experiencing enjoyment. This edition contains:
- Political maps describing the United States and all the nations of the world according to their regional grouping within a, particular continent.
- Pertinent data about each state or country, plus fascinating facts of historic, geographic, political, or economic nature. These facts are often related to today's headlines.
- Physical maps of each continent, illustrating the major rivers, mountain ranges, mountain peaks, and specific land regions.
- Visual comparisons of size among the countries themselves, as well as to the various states of the United States.
- Maps, covering larger areas, provide the reader with a bigger picture regarding the location of the country or region under consideration.
- Maps describing the, transformation of the former Soviet Union into fifteen separate nations, and the former Yugoslavia into five new nations.
- Thematic maps of the world describing weather, vegetation, ocean currents, prevailing winds, population, racial distribution, religions, and languages.
- Flags of the world are shown organized according to the geographic locations of their countries of origin.
- Past and future movement of continents over millions of years, plus the location of earthquake and volcano zones.
- Eight historic land empires (see below) superimposed on modern maps with extensive descriptions tracing the rise and fall of each empire.
- An index that serves as a dictionary, identifying and locating each entry. This feature can also be turned into a fascinating, dual-function quiz.
This unique educational tool introduces learners to the countries of the world and the states of the United States. Through active participation, coloring the maps, users gain a broad understanding of the materialand retain that understanding.
Each section begins with a plate containing a political map, a physical map, and regional maps. World Thematic Maps consist of eleven global maps covering climate, rainfall, temperatures, prevailing winds, ocean currents, vegetation, land use, population, racial distribution, languages, and religionspresenting a global view of human activity. Flags and Review of Nations groups flags of the world according to continents, with the illustration of the flag placed close to the country of origin.
For children of all agesand their parentswho could benefit from a colorful crash courseor refresherin geography, and an enjoyable and informative guide to a greater understanding of the world around them.
Table of Contents
How to Use and Color This Book.
A Glossary of Geographical Terminology.
THE CONTINENTS. 1. The Hemispheres and Earth Zones.
2. Continental Activity.
NORTH AMERICA. 3. The Countries.
4. The Physical Land.
5. Canada and Greenland.
6. United States.
7. Northeastern United States.
8. Southeastern United States.
9. Southcentral United States, Alaska and Hawaii.
10. Northcentral United States.
11. Western United States,
12. Mexico and Central America.
13. West Indies.
SOUTH AMERICA. 14. The Countries.
15. The Physical Land.
16. Northern Countries and Brazil.
17. Andean Countries, River Plate Countries.
EUROPE. 18. The Countries.
19. The Physical Land.
20. Northern Europe.
21. Western Europe.
22. Central Europe.
23. Southeastern Europe I.
24. Southeastern Europe II.
25. Eastern Europe I.
26. Eastern Europe II.
27. Eastern Europe III and Asia.
ASIA. 28. The Countries.
29. The Physical Land.
30. Asia: Middle East I.
31. Asia: Middle East II.
32. Southern Asia.
33. Eastern Asia.
34. Southeastern Asia.
OCEANIA. 35. Oceania I.
36. Oceania II.
AFRICA. 37. The Countries.
38. The Physical Land.
39. Northern Africa.
40. Western Africa.
41. Central Africa.
42. Eastern Africa.
43. Southern Africa.
POLAR REGIONS. 44. The Arctic, The Antarctic.
HISTORIC LAND EMPIRES. 45. Persian Empire, Alexander the Great.
46. Roman Empire, Byzantine Empire.
47. Islamic Empire, Ottoman Empire.
48. Mongol Empire, Mogul Empire.
FLAGS AND REVIEW OF NATIONS. 49. Introduction, Flags and Review of North America.
50. Flags and Review of the West Indies, Flags and Review of South America.
51. Flags and Review of Europe.
52. Flags and Review of Africa.
53. Flags and Review of Asia.
54. Flags and Review of Oceania.
WORLD THEMATIC MAPS. 55. World Climate Regions.
56. Annual Rainfall.
57. Regional Temperature.
58. Prevailing Winds.
59. Major Ocean Currents.
60. Natural Vegetation Regions.
61. Major Use of Land.
62. Population Distribution.
63. Racial Distribution.
64. Major Official Languages.
65. Major Religions.
COMPARATIVE SIZES OF NATIONS. 66. Largest Nations Compared by Area.
67. Largest Nations Compared by Population.
INDEX. Geographical Dictionary.
Review and Quiz.