Synopses & Reviews
Why Postpone Joy? You could spend a lot of time looking around for the right guide to C and C++. Or you could just go ahead and buy the one youre holding right now
and get a head start on experiencing the joy of C programming! This step-by-step companion takes you on a journey from novice to expert C programmer. It shows how exactly to write clear, concise C programs that are portable, efficient, and easy to maintain. Plus, youll find hands-on, detailed coverage of C++ and objects, one of the most popular and flexible programming languages in use today! The Joy of C avoids contrived program fragments or incomplete coverage that leaves you confused and frustrated. Instead, you get a collection of useful programs that illustrate the features of C in a realistic way. Heres what else you get:
- A DOS-based disk containing all programs in the text so you can get immediate feedback on the programs you write.
- Complete program examples so you can avoid potentially confusing program fragments
- A checklist of potential trouble spots and likely errors to help you avoid mistakes and debug programs.
- Multiple versions of example programs that start simple then gradually expand as you learn how to use various language features to make the program more efficient.
- Case studies to show how to build big programs from small pieces.
Written in a friendly tone, it shows readers how to write clear, concise programs that make maximum use of the power of C. It also details how to put together large programs, how to produce portable and efficient code, and how to use pointers to effectively organize and access data. The text begins with a gentle tutorial overview of C that introduces the basics of C programming. Then each topic is discussed in detail, with complete coverage of advanced data types and advanced program organization. Once the power of C is unveiled, the text arms readers with over 200 useful programs and functions, including a base converter, a histogram producer, and C program cross-references, and more.
Table of Contents
Partial table of contents:
A GENTLE INTRODUCTION TO C. Getting Started with C. Getting Comfortable with C. THE BASICS.
ADVANCED DATA TYPES.
Arrays of Arrays.
Arrays of Pointers.
ADVANCED PROGRAM STRUCTURE.
C AND THE REAL WORLD.
Lists and Trees.
MOVING FROM C TO C++.