Synopses & Reviews
Due to some of the limitations imposed by MS, such as chronic fatigue, depression, and muscle weakness, patients often become sedentary, gaining excess weight and developing poor eating and exercise habits. The LIFE Program for MS is a user-friendly teaching tool that helps sufferers to incorporate new behaviors into their daily routines, to live a healthier life and reduce the chances of secondary illnesses, such as cancer, stroke, and heart disease. Drawing on her own experience as a professional athlete, as well as her work at the Jacobs Neurological Institute in Buffalo, New York, Susan J. Epstein provides readers with tips and strategies for healthy eating, managing weight, incorporating exercise into daily life, and managing and conserving both mental and physical energy for daily living. She also emphasizes the importance of establishing a support system of coaches who can provide the MS patient with motivation and reinforcement. Finally, she addresses the unpredictable factors in life that affect behavior outcomes, whether family, environment, vocation, or self-awareness.
"The unique approach used in The LIFE Program for MS is for newly diagnosed patients as well as MS veterans. This easy-to-understand book deals with the unique and troubling limitations imposed by this unpredictable disease."--The Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers
About the Author
Susan J. Epstein
is Program Coordinator at the Jacobs Neurological Institute, in Buffalo, New York.
Table of Contents
1. When Maintaining Energy Balance Becomes a Challenge
2. The Wellness Model vs. the Disease Model
3. Developing Health Behaviors Using a Psychological Model
Part II Managing the Math of Calorie Balancing
4. Keeping Track of the Numbers
5. Calculating Food Calories Using the LIFE Sliding Scale System
6. Calculating Physical Activity Calories Using the LIFE Sliding Scale System
Part III Making Calories Count
7. The Dangers of Running on Empty
8. Avoiding Calorie Pitfalls
9. Fueling the Body With Quality Calories
Part IV Maximizing Energy through a Mind-body Approach
10. Designing Energy Blocks to Balance Your Day
11. Thinking about Yoga or Tai Chi?
12. Maintaining Life Satisfaction