Synopses & Reviews
The development of a film screenplay is a complex and collaborative process, beginning with an initial story and continuing through drafting and financing to the start of the shoot. And yet the best ways of understanding and managing this process have never been properly studied. The Screenplay Business is the first book to do exactly that, addressing such questions as:
- How do film scripts get written, and what are the tensions between creativity and business?
- How can the team of the writer, producer, director and development executive work together most effectively?
The Screenplay Business presents a theoretical and practical framework for understanding the business of independent script development, and encompasses ideas about creativity, motivation, managing creative people, value chains, and MBA leadership theories.
This book will help producers and writers to nurture their stories through the long development process to the screen. It explains the international film business, and contains new research and extensive interviews with leading industry figures, including practical advice on how to run script meetings and handle notes; how to build a sustainable business; and how to understand what really happens when a script is written.
The Screenplay Business is a new key text for academics and students researching film and media, and indispensable reading for anyone working in film screenplay development today.
The development of a film script is a long and complex process, beginning with the initial story concept, continuing through drafting and financing, to the start of the shoot. Although initially creatively driven by the writer, it is a team effort, and is managed by a producer or development executive. And yet the best ways of understanding and managing this important development process have never been properly researched and studied. The Screenplay Business does exactly that, addressing such questions as:
- How do we create the best processes and environments for developing stories and concepts for film?
- Are some of the current practices hindering efficient development?
- How can the creative team of the writer, producer, director and development executive be made to work together most effectively?
- How can producers and development executives build their businesses through effective project development?
This book will help writers to nurture their stories and vision through the long development process to the screen, and will help producers and development executives to develop lasting relationships with key talent and build businesses.