Synopses & Reviews
The pioneering creator of transformative workshops and books, Dr. Jean Houston here explores the nature of spiritual yearning and demonstrates to readers how to facilitate a personal quest for fulfillment by focusing on the aspects of Sacred Psychology. Houston provides a passport to the wondrous and tragic dimensions of the human psyche.
The Search for the Beloved, one of the most important books written on the creative and inventive mind, explains the theories that helped form the foundation of the human potential movement. In what has been called an intellectual and spiritual feast, Jean Houston explores the nature of spiritual yearning and teaches readers how to facilitate a personal quest by focusing on the four aspects of Sacred Psychology the Great Wound, the Mythic Journey of Transformation, the Discovery of the Larger Story, and the Union with the Beloved of the Soul.
W. B. Yeats wrote, There is but one history and that is the soul s. It is this great known and unknowable homeland of the human spirit that The Search for the Beloved tours. In an itinerary that leads readers to the sacred sites of the soul, Dr. Houston s classic book is a passport for those who yearn to attune their spirits with psychological depths and spiritual heights. Probing our tragic dimensions for their deeper, more mythic meanings, so that our wounds can become the sources of spiritual grace, this book will guide readers to a larger and more sacred dimension of life. Includes a newforewordby the author."
Table of Contents
Introduction to the Second Edition
How to Read This Book
Part One: Perspectives
1. The Ancient Asclepian
2. The Global Asclepian
3. What Is Sacred Psychology?
Part Two: Basic Practices
4. Guidelines to Basic Practices
5. Extending the Senses: The Kinesthetic Body; The Extended Sensorium
6. Training the Creative Imagination: Relearning Imagistic Thinking
7. Developing the Imaginal Body: Evoking Your Imaginal Form; Archetypal Shape-shifting
8. The Friend in Court and the Three Realms of Being: Incarnating the Friend in Court; Sacred Sound: Evoking the Three Realms of Being
Part Three: Basic Themes
Introduction to Basic Themes
9. Of Story and Myth
10. The Sacred Sound: From Pathos to Mythos: A Therapeic Dyad; Betrayal and Forgiveness
11. The Search for the Beloved: The Rites of Pothos: The Search for the Beloved; The Walk to the Beloved: The Ritual of Samothrace
Part Four: The Stories
Introduction to the Stories
12. Psyche and Eros: Scenarios for Psyche and Eros
13. The Ecstatic Journey of Jalaloddin Rumi: Scenarios for the Ecstatic Journey of Jalaloddin Rumi