Synopses & Reviews
The first book to provide complete, specific instructions on casting the Diloggún, the cowrie-shell oracle of the Orishas.
• Provides step-by-step instructions never before published, detailing requirements and procedure for casting the Diloggún.
• Includes a detailed “mojuba” or prayer used to awaken the Orishas (spirit entities) for divination.
• Devotes an entire chapter to each of the twelve basic Odu (random patterns in which the sixteen shells fall), providing ritual mechanics and oracular meanings for all possible castings.
The Afro-Cuban faith, known to outsiders as Santeria and to adherents as Las Reglas de Ocha de Los Lucumi, is not a static religion but a living conduit of energy for connecting the spirit world to our own. It came to the New World with the slave trade where it has evolved in response to the surrounding culture. For adherents of Lucumi, the Diloggún is the most important focus of worship: the sacred shells reveal the forces at play in an adherent's life. These forces are redefined and placated by the Orisha priest, who makes direct contact with the spirit world in an effort to help the adherent evolve.
While many books have been published about Santeria, The Secrets of Afro-Cuban Divination is the first to provide complete information on how to cast the Diloggún, including opening, reading, and closing the oracle, and how to give a comprehensive reading. With a detailed discussion about why each prayer is offered and insight into the metaphysical core of the religion, this book will bring those seeking the wisdom of the Diloggún closer to the living Orishas than they have ever been.
This is the first book to provide complete information on how to cast the Dilogg?n, including instructions for opening, reading, and closing the oracle, as well as everything necessary for giving a comprehensive reading.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 399-402) and index.
About the Author
Author of The Secrets of Afro-Cuban Divination, Ócha'ni Lele has been immersed in the underground culture of Orisha worship since 1989. By 1995 he had received several initiations in both Santeria and the Congo faith Palo Mayombe and in 2000 he made Ocha and was crowned a Santeria priest. He lives in Florida.
Table of Contents
The Secrets of Afro-Cuban Divination
How to Cast the Diloggun, the Oracle of the Orishas
1. Manipulating the Diloggun--The Oracle of the Orishas
2. Opening Okana--One Mouth on the Mat
3. Opening Eji Oko--Two Mouths on the Mat
4. Opening Ogunda--Three Mouths on the Mat
5. Opening Irosun--Four Mouths on the Mat
6. Opening Oche--Five Mouths on the Mat
7. Opening Obara--Six Mouths on the Mat
8. Opening Odi--Seven Mouths on the Mat
9. Opening Elleunle/Eji Ogbe--Eight Mouths on the Mat
10. Opening Osa--Nine Mouths on the Mat
11. Opening Ofun--Ten Mouths on the Mat
12. Opening Owani--Eleven Mouths on the Mat
13. Opening Ejila Shebora--Twelve Mouths on the Mat
Appendix One: The Odu Byond Ejila Shebora
Appendix Two: Examples of Recorded Readings with the Diloggun
Appendix Three: Mail-Order Sources for Religious Supplies