Synopses & Reviews
This volume of Methods in Cell Biology
is the 3e, and provides comprehensive compendia of laboratory protocols and reviews covering all the new methods developed since 2004. This new volume on Disease Models and Chemical Screens, covers two rapidly emerging and compelling applications of the zebrafish.
* Details state-of-the art zebrafish protocols, delineating critical steps in the procedures as well as potential pitfalls
* This volume concentrates on Disease Models and Chemical Screens
About the Author
Professor of Biochemistry and Marine Biology at Northeastern University, promoted 1996. Joined Northeastern faculty in 1987. Previously a faculty member in Dept. of Biochemistry at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, 1983-1987.Principal Investigator in the U.S. Antarctic Program since 1984. Twelve field seasons "on the ice" since 1981. Research conducted at Palmer Station, Antarctica, and McMurdo Station, Antarctica.Research areas: Biochemical, cellular, and physiological adaptation to low and high temperatures. Structure and function of cytoplasmic microtubules and microtubule-dependent motors from cold-adapted Antarctic fishes. Regulation of tubulin and globin gene expression in zebrafish and Antarctic fishes. Role of microtubules in morphogenesis of the zebrafish embryo. Developmental hemapoiesis in zebrafish and Antarctic fishes. UV-induced DNA damage and repair in Antarctic marine organisms.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Children's Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Table of Contents
Part I: Disease Models
1. Germ Cell Tumors in Zebrafish - Jim Armatruda
2. Schwann Cell Myelination Mutants as Models of Multiple Sclerosis - David Lyons
3. In Vivo Analysis of Zebrafish Adipogenesis - John Rawls. First draft Sept. 1.
4. Host-Microbe Interactions in the Zebrafish - Karen Guillemin (University of Oregon)
5. Hematopoietic Stem Cell Development and Blood Flow - Trista North
6. Zebrafish as a Model for Hemorrhagic Stroke - Brant Weinstein
7. Zebrafish Adaptive Immunity: Structure and Function of Physiologic Development and Malignant Transformation - Nikolaus Trede and David Traver
8. Zebrafish VHL Disease Model - Freek van Eeden and co-authors Received 8/7/10.
9. Muscle Diseases - Peter Curie and Lou Kunkel
10. Basement Membrane Diseases - Natália M. Feitosa, Tom Carney, Matthias Hammerschmidt
11. Lymphangiogenesis - Schulte-Merker
12. Osteogenesis - Schulte-Merker
13. Zebrafish Assays of Ciliopathies - Nicholas Katsanis, JHU Sch of Med and Norann Zaghloul (UMD)
14. Infectious Disease: Innate Immunity - Herman Spaink
15. Tuberculosis - Lalita Ramakrishnan
16. Cancer - Tom Look
17. Melanoma - Patton and Schartl
18. Pancreatic Cancer - Steve Leach
19. Rhabdomyosarcoma - David Langenau MS Approved by Monte July 31.
20. Transplantation in Zebrafish - Pulin Li and Len Zon
21. Modeling Human Disease by Gene Targeting - Andrew Dodd, Stephen Chambers, Peter Nielsen, and Donald Love
22. Fluorescent Imaging of Cancer - David Langenau
23. Zebrafish as a Model for Fanconi’s Anemia - John Postlethwait
Part II: Chemical Screens
1. Chemical Screens for Potential Therapeutics - Justin Lee Hong Tan and Len Zon
2. Psychotropic Drug Discovery by Automated Behavioral Phenotyping - Randall Peterson resent June 15
3. Discovery and Use of Small Molecules for Probing Biological Processes - Randall Peterson and Mark Fishman