Synopses & Reviews
There is a therapy crisis in America today'"each year, millions of Americans enter therapy hoping and believing they'll be helped'"but studies show that rather than being the lifesaver good therapy has been known to be, many patients are finding themselves even more emotionally distraught than before. With several different therapists, failed treatment attempts, and thousands of dollars down the drain, they are left frustrated and confused, feeling that they only have themselves to blame. Frankly, too many Americans are in therapy year after year,for no good reason.
Sadly, this is considered to be a 'normal' state of affairs by many therapists currently in the field. Ineffective methods + uninformed (and vulnerable) patients = therapy dependence, even 'therapy addiction.' Add insurance company payment denials to the mix, and you might wonder if it's even possible to find a caring, ethical, and effective psychotherapist. Could we be in the midst of a mental unhealth catastrophe?
Richard Zwolinski, a licensed mental health counselor, is a watchdog for professional ethics and patient rights in the mental health and addiction fields. For more than twenty years, he has been helping patients receive the best, most effective care for the least cost in a reasonable amount of time. Therapy Revolutionis his call to action that puts the therapist on the couch and the patient in the armchair. Readers will learn to:
- Spot the scams that set Therapy Traps (and read real-life patient stories that expose these deplorable practices)
- Identify the red flags that indicate therapy violations'"and learn exactly what to do if their therapist breaks the rules
- Understand the mechanics of a therapy addiction
- Insist on the use of Therapy Tools that every effective therapist must use
- How to find, interview, and hire the therapist that's right for them
- Understand the five fundamental ingredients in the successful therapy formula
- Utilize the longer-shorter path philosophy to create real and lasting progress
- Dozens of insider tips on maximizing the benefits of good therapy
- Stop wasting their time and money
- And much more!
Chock-full of revealing (and sometimes shocking) patient interviews, self-assessment questionnaires, checklists, therapist interview questions, therapist qualifications lists, charts, diagrams, and more, Therapy Revolution exposes the pitfalls of bad therapy and the benefits of good therapy, all while offering practical solutions for making therapy work for you.
THE THERAPY CRISIS -
Each year, millions of people enter therapy hoping and believing they'll be helped--but studies show that many aren't being helped. In fact, some patients find they are struggling with more emotional problems than before. Too many people end up stuck in therapy year after year, for no good reason at all.
THE REVOLUTION - Richard Zwolinski, a licensed mental health counselor and expert on anxiety and addiction, is a watchdog for professional ethics and patient rights. For more than twenty years he has been helping patients receive the best, most effective care for the least cost in a reasonable amount of time. In Therapy Revolution, Zwolinski puts the therapists on the couch and analyzes their performances. He exposes harmful therapy practices
and shows you exactly what you need to do to find a therapist who is ethical and competent. In this solution-oriented call to action, Zwolinski reveals:
- What some therapists don't want you to know
- The 2 essential Therapy Tools that every effective therapist must use--and why you should leave a therapist who refuses to use them
- How you can find, interview, and hire the therapist that's right for you
- The red flags that indicate therapy isn't working--and what you need to do if a therapist breaks the rules
- The 5 fundamental ingredients in the Successful Therapy Formula
THE STEP-BY-STEP SOLUTION - Chock-full of shocking, real-life patient interviews, self-assessment questionnaires, numerous checklists that lead to therapy success, therapist interview questions, and more, Therapy Revolution exposes the pitfalls of bad therapy and shows you what good therapy should look like, all while offering practical solutions for making therapy work for you.
About the Author
Richard M. Zwolinski, LMHC, is a nationally and internationally licensed psychotherapist and addiction specialist with more than twenty-five years experience. He serves on the New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services Administrative Regulatory Relief Committee and is involved in the creation of important patients' rights regulations. He is also the provider co-chair for the OASAS Smart Records Committee, which creates and implements documents designed to keep patients engaged in treatment as well as promotes therapists' adherence to treatment protocols. He also serves on the Ethics Committee for the New York State Mental Health Counselors Association. Mr. Zwolinski is a consultant to government and non-governmental agencies and industries, and is a regulatory compliance officer and director of an addiction and mental health treatment program. C.R. Zwolinski is a writer and editor.