Synopses & Reviews
AN INTEGRATED AND INTERACTIVE SET OF MATERIALS TO EXPLORE THE PROCESS OF ENGINEERING DESIGN
This integrated and interactive set of materials exposes readers to the cognitive and interpersonal skills required to execute the design process, and introduces them to some of the productivity tools used by engineers. All phases of the design process are covered including Defining the Problem, Formulating solutions, Developing Models and Prototypes and Presenting the Design. Topics on Decision-making, communication, collaboration and self-Management show how these various skill are best applied to each phase of the design process. the focus throughout is on skills and activities that transcend specific types of design projects.
- Readers develop solid Team Skill and are guided through the principles and steps that promote team effectiveness.
- self-Assessment Activities provide increased personal insight to strengths and improvement areas along with a greater involvement in the learning process.
- Specific tools and tactics are presented at the point in a design process when they are most likely to be applied "just in time".
This book is about the process of design and the skills that individuals should develop in order to execute that process. Its focus is on explaining the engineering design process but the authors have also tried to provide an experiential resource. In this regard the book provides the reader with guidance on how to use a variety of tools and techniques that support collaborative design efforts.
Table of Contents
* Defining the Problem: Steps and Decision-Making Skills
* Defining the Problem: Project and People Skills
* Formulating Solutions: Steps and Decision-Making
* Formulating Solutions: Project and People Skills
* Developing Models and Prototypes: Steps and Decision-Making
* Developing Models and Prototypes: Project and People Skills
* Overview of Design Phase Four- Presenting and Implementing the Design