Synopses & Reviews
Whether you’re lost in the woods, facing an armed insurrection, or preparing for a hurricane, the experts at Outdoor Life
magazine are the people you want on your side. This book is the one you need if you want to protect your family, save yourself, and prevail over any danger.
Your Go-To Guide for Surviving Anything
GET READY, GET SET, SURVIVE!
You're lost in the woods without food or water. Confronted by an armed assailant in the dead of night. Forced to outrun a deadly tornado. Don't worry - The Ultimate Survival Manual has you covered.
Out in the Wild From navigating with a compass to fending off a mountain lion, learn to prevail in the forests, deserts, and open oceans like an expert outdoorsman.
During a Disaster Whether it's a towering tsunami or a blazing wildfire, bad things happen every day. Know what to do when the going gets tough.
In an Urban Crisis Arm yourself with the latest self-defense moves, weapons tips, and home-protection tactics, plus crucial strategies for handling bad guys and bad situations at home and abroad.
When disaster strikes, time is of the essence. The people who survive are those who know what to do . . . they have their earthquake kits packed, their travel essentials saved, their family prepared, and their cars gassed up and ready to go. Everyone wants to believe that they are that person—the one who would prevail whether they found themselves facing a tornado, an angry bear, or a revolution in a third-world country. Filled with clear, concise instructions, helpful diagrams, essential checklists, and inspirational first-person stories, this book is a fascinating armchair read that might just save the reader’s life. Sprinkled throughout are real-life “extreme survival” stories of amazing feats (“I Punched a Tiger in the Face!”) that inform and entertain. Even if the most terrifying thing you’ve ever survived is a traffic jam on the 205, this book is a must-read.
This book will feature disaster survival scenarios in a number of international situations.
About the Author
When it comes to survival, Rich Johnson’s done a lot of it. He’s worked as a demolition sergeant in the US Army Special Forces, a Coast Guard Auxiliary instructor, an EMT, a fire fighter, and a policeman. In his off hours, he’s excelled as an advanced SCUBA diver, paratrooper, sailor, and skier, and survived in the desert wilderness for a year with his wife and small children—part of which involved living in a cave and eating bugs. He’s written extensively for Outdoor Life and is the author of Rich Johnson’s Guide to Wilderness Survival.
Table of Contents
1. Situational Awareness Basics
2. What They Did Right: 9/11 Survival Stories, America’s Heroes
3. Street Smarts: Stay Safe in the Big City
4. It Happened to Me: I Fought Off a Madman
5. Hand-to-Hand Combat Techniques
6. Assault Prevention Essentials
7. By the Numbers: Don’t be a Crime Statistic
8. What They Did Wrong: Bad-News Bar Fight
9. Disarm a Gunman
10. Burglarproof Your Home
11. Keep Your Family Safe
12. Gear Essentials: Home Safety 101
13. What to Bring on the Road—Any Road
14. Basic Car Safety
15. Checklist : Travel Smart Anywhere
16. Third World Smarts, First World Streets
17. It Happened to Me: Caught in a Armed Insurrection
18. Threat Level Index: When Do You Leave?
19. Emergency Auto Repairs MacGyver Would Envy
20. Worst Case Scenario: When Civilization Falls
1. Wild Weather: What to Watch For
2. Terrifying Twisters: Survive a Tornado
3. By the Numbers: How Safe is Your City from Extreme Weather
4. When the Floodwaters Are Rising
5. Sandbag Essentials
6. It Happened to Me: Swept Away in a Raging River
7. Hurricaine! When to Evacuate
8. What They Did Wrong: Katrina Disasters
9. Fire Watch: Dealing with Urban Fires
10. When the Woods Burn
11. Wall of Water: Ride Out a Tsunami
12. It Happened to Me: Surviving the Indonesian Tsunami
13. What They Did Right: Fukushima Survival Stories
14. Make It through a Blizzard
15. Checklist: Ensure Winter Survival
16. When the Big One Hits: Earthquake Survival
17. Threat Level Index: Stay or Go After a Quake?
18. Handling Looters
19. Gear Essentials: Your Ultimate Go bag
20. Worst Case Scenario: Nuclear Meltdown
1. Make It Through a Night in the Woods
2. Signal Rescuers the Right Way
3. What they Did Wrong: The Kim Family Tragedy
4. Basic Tracking Skills
5. By the Numbers: The Most Dangers Places on Earth
6. Survive an Avalanche
7. When Animals Attack
8. It Happened to Me: The Soldier Who Punched a Tiger in the Face
9. Build a Fire Anywhere
10. Ice Storm Survival
11. Threat Level index: Assess Bad Weather
12. Find and Eat Wild Plants Safely
13. Make It in the Jungle
14. What They Did Right: The Teenage Girl Who Survived the Amazon
15. Make a Basic Animal Snare
16. Skin and Cook Your Catch
17. Gear Essentials: Wilderness Survival Kit
18. Get Out of Quicksand
19. First Aid on the Fly
20. Worst Case Scenario: Stranded and Alone for Weeks