Synopses & Reviews
The Alexandria, Loudoun and Hampshire Railroad laid track from Alexandria through Fairfax County and into Loudoun County towards the coalfields of West Virginia. In 1900, the Southern Railway, which had taken over the line, extended the railroad into Bluemont on the east side of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The Washington and Old Dominion Railway leased the Southern Railway's line in 1912, went into receivership in 1932, and was reorganized into the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad in 1935. The employees excavated the roadbed by hand, built stations and electric locomotives, reconfigured passenger cars, replaced diesel motors, and rebuilt bridges. Eventually, public roads and a lack of shipping and receiving industries forced the railroad into abandonment. Through old photographs, Washington and Old Dominion Railroad explores the efforts that went into building, operating, and maintaining the railroad whose right-of-way has now become the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority's Washington and Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park.
About the Author
David A. Guillaudeu has taken photographs of the railroad, interviewed former employees, and collected old photographs and scale drawings for over 40 years. Paul E. McCray served as the park manager of the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park. Today, he is an unofficial Washington and Old Dominion Railroad historian and gives talks to local groups.