Synopses & Reviews
With hundreds of new entries, maps, photos, illustrations, and an all-new look, Webster's New World Children's Dictionary, Second Edition now offers even more of the unique features and qualities most sought by parents and educators. Developed in collaboration with leading educators and textbook publishers, this top-quality dictionary is written and designed specifically for children ages 8 to 11. Its more than 33,000 entries are based on contemporary children's literature and the writings of children themselves. Definitions are clear and accurate, with thousands of up-to-date example sentences that help children put meanings into real-life context. Over 750 specially commissioned, full-color photographs, illustrations, and maps aid understanding and add appeal. Word histories, synonym studies, spelling tips, and a children's thesaurus help build important reading, writing, and spelling skills. Plus, a special illustrated reference section introduces children to key U.S. and world information.Tested nationally in focus groups, this dictionary has received the highest approval rating of all currently available children's dictionaries. Now completely revised and updated in both look and content, it continues to be the only children's dictionary that offers all of these features:
* Educational expertise
* Reliability of information
* Clarity of definitions
* Appealing, readable page design
* The learning aids most requested by educators
* Age-appropriate text and illustrations
* Useful supplements.Ideal for home or school use
An illustrated edition of the bestselling children's dictionary, featuring selected word histories, synonym studies, lists of words with prefixes or suffixes, and spelling tips. Maps.
PREFERRED BY LEADING EDUCATORS AND INFORMED PARENTS
With more than 33,000 entries selected in consultation with top educators and definitions written specifically for children eight and up, this is the most up-to-date and kid-friendly dictionary ever. Designed to make kids enthusiastic instead of intimidated, it features:
- More than 800 notes and tips on synonyms, homonyms, prefixes, spelling, and word histories
- Over 750 photographs and illustrations
- Current computer, scientific, and cutural terms
- Interesting word histories
- Important figuresfrom literature and history
- Sample sentencesto show meanings and usage
- Every country plus major cities
- Spelling tipsfor tricky words
- Clear definitionsin language children understand
- Parts of speech, plural forms, and verb forms
- Color photos, drawings and maps
- Easy to understand pronunciation guideon every spread
The all-in-one reference with:
- Children's Thesaurus
- Album of U.S. Presidents
- Tables of Weights and Measures
- Atlas of the World
- Album of U.S. States
Table of Contents
Dictionary Staff, Advisors, and Consultants.
How to Use the Dictionary.
How Does the Dictionary Work?
How You find a Word in the Dictionary.
Different Kinds of Words You Can Look Up.
What Can You Learn from an Entry?
How to Pronounce a Word.
Special features in the Dictionary.
The Parts of a Dictionary Entry.
Acknowledgments and Photo Credits.
The United States.
Canada and Mexico.
Central America and the Caribbean.
Australia and the South Pacific.
Weights & Measures.
Presidents of the U.S.
Album of the States.
Word Finder Table.