Synopses & Reviews
Your trusted guide to surgical weight loss
Considering weight loss surgery? This compassionate guide helps you determine whether you qualify and gives you the scoop on selecting the best center and surgical team, understanding today's different procedures, and achieving the best results. You also get tips on eating properly post-op and preparing appetizing meals, as well as easing back into your day-to-day life.
- Weight loss surgery 101 get to know the different types of weight loss surgery procedures (and how they work to help you lose weight)
- Prep for surgery understand all there is to know about moderating eating habits and incorporating exercise before surgery
- Check in (and out) find out what you can expect while you're in the hospital all the way through to your experiences after surgery
- Set yourself up for success discover how to lose the weight and keep it off for life through a healthy eating plan, exercise, and emotional and physical support
- Life after surgery understand the physical and emotional challenges that come after surgery, like dealing with side effects, coping with depression, and changing your relationship with loved ones (and yourself)
Open the book and find:
- The criteria your surgeon will use to determine if you're a candidate for surgery
- The pros and cons of weight loss surgery procedures
- The scoop on finding and working with a healthcare team
- How to get in tip-top pre-op shape
- Trusted tips on ensuring success
- Delicious recipes for each stage of post-op
- Guidance for those considering plastic surgery
- Weight loss surgery myths
- Decide if gastric bypass surgery is right for you
- Choose the best doctor and center
- Prepare for surgery and achieve the best results
Your trusted guide to surgical weight-loss
Sixty percent of individuals over the age of 20—or 58 million people in the U.S.—are overweight. As the obesity epidemic continues to grow, many Americans are researching the benefits and complications of weight-loss surgeries. Weight Loss Surgery For Dummies, 2nd edition is the most up-to-date and authoritative guide to understanding the impact of surgical weight-loss before, during, and after surgery.
Weight-loss surgery is often an overweight person's last resort, and it comes with many risks, questions, and fears. So how do you know if it's right for you? Weight Loss Surgery For Dummies gives you expert guidance on knowing whether you qualify for the procedures, advice on choosing the best center and doctor, and trusted information on evaluating the risks involved. Plus, it helps you plan to finance the procedure, prepare for surgery, and achieve the best results as you adjust to a new diet and lifestyle post-surgery.
- Trusted information on choosing a weight loss surgery that's best for you
- Advice on what to expect before, during, and after surgery
- Sample recipes and information to ensure you're getting proper nutrition post-surgery
If you or a loved one is considering gastric bypass surgery, Weight Loss Surgery For Dummies gives you everything you need to decide if it's the right course of action, what to expect during recovery, and how to ensure the best results through healthy eating behaviors and regular physical activity.
About the Author
Marina S. Kurian, MD, is a weight loss surgeon at NYU Medical Center. Barbara Thompson is a nationally recognized speaker who brings hope to the dangerously obese. Brian K. Davidson is the coauthor of Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook For Dummies.
Table of Contents
Part I: Is Weight Loss Surgery for You? 7
Chapter 1: The Ins and Outs of Weight Loss Surgery 9
Chapter 2: Voting for Surgery: Are You a Candidate? 19
Chapter 3: Incision Decisions: Your Surgical Options 33
Chapter 4: Understanding the Risks of Surgery 53
Chapter 5: Drafting Your Dream Team: It's More Than a Surgeon 69
Part II: Preparing for Surgery 79
Chapter 6: Paying for Surgery: No Assurance of Insurance 81
Chapter 7: Making the